65% of the Shorthorn breeds current design is based on show heifers.

Help Support Steer Planet:

beebe

knabe said:
beebe said:
Albaugh Ranch has sold grass fed meat into the California hotel restaurant trade.

many have. the repeat rate diminishes rapidly.  there is no independent measurements of what it means to be grassfed and acceptable in the restaurant trade other than saying it is, making people feel like they are cheating the grain fed path.  it's really a joke.  with tastes so subjective and subject to emotion of saving the earth, there is really very few people who know and or have what is excellent with grass fed production.  one needs genes, validation, causal snps etc. the whole emotional thing just won't stand scrutiny.
I don't disagree.  I started by raising one for my freezer and I enjoyed the taste very much.  As I shared it with family and friends people asked me to raise some for them.  I am in the pheasant hunting business. I give samples to the hunters and some of them buy some to take home.  I am providing a product that hopefully I can continue to expand sales of.  I am not worried about the emotional thing and yes you do need genetics and it makes a difference what they eat as they are finishing.  I have found nothing better than native pasture for the right flavor and level of fat.  I am constantly looking for genetics that will be an improvement.  I have had failures but I keep looking.  Validation comes or not depending on the customers experience.  Thanks for your comments.

knabe

Twice a year, some Portuguese buy open cows that are fatter than any feedlot steer I've ever seen.

I'm thinking something like that is the perfect grassfed animal.

beebe

knabe said:
Twice a year, some Portuguese buy open cows that are fatter than any feedlot steer I've ever seen.

I'm thinking something like that is the perfect grassfed animal.
That might be true.  I know a man that uses open cows for freezer beef.  I have not done that.

Okotoks

The Canadian climate means you have to feed for a good portion of the year but there are operations that utilize grass and roughage for a good portion like Saskvalley and Muridale. There must be grass fed genetics in South America and Australia for those that are serious! JBS in Australia is paying a premium for Shorthorn bred cattle!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHiuiiv-T2-JZpVTzTWGCyg

trevorgreycattleco

I've seen a bunch of cattle in South America that could work but you can't get those genetics up here. At least last time I looked into it. I'd love to use some shorthorn from down there. My last animal I butchered was a 14 month old pure shorthorn bull. Lacked in marbling but the customers are very pleased. Fork tender is a comment I'm hearing a lot. I've got another beef going in May 2. It's all sold. Another in July and it's already spoken for. These are customers that range from hipsters to country folks who know good beef. I'm confident  shorthorns have a place in the commercial industry. We just need to build more strains within the breed.

Okotoks

E3 Durhams said:
I've seen a bunch of cattle in South America that could work but you can't get those genetics up here. At least last time I looked into it. I'd love to use some shorthorn from down there. My last animal I butchered was a 14 month old pure shorthorn bull. Lacked in marbling but the customers are very pleased. Fork tender is a comment I'm hearing a lot. I've got another beef going in May 2. It's all sold. Another in July and it's already spoken for. These are customers that range from hipsters to country folks who know good beef. I'm confident  shorthorns have a place in the commercial industry. We just need to build more strains within the breed.
Didn't Little Cedar bring some embryos in from Argentina?

shortyjock89

I thought maybe they brought them into Canada and then could bring live animals over.

It's an incredibly arduous process to bring SA genetics to the US. I looked into the Argentinean cattle myself and would love to try some of them.

Medium Rare

Okotoks said:
E3 Durhams said:

http://www.shorthorncountry.net/images/magazine/2014/november/argentine.pdf

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

My Shorthorn are all grass feed. born, grow and die in grass.
Best genetics to me, Argentina, Canada and Uruguay to produce cattle on grass.
Saskvalley Yesterday is making a good work here, as well did Mr. Gus 80C some years ago.
Two Alta Cedar bulls on stock, not yet used both.

trevorgreycattleco

80C would seem to be too big in my mind for a grass fed operation. I don't doubt he worked for you, just find it interesting. You should post some pictures of your cattle amigo.

trevorgreycattleco

Medium Rare said:
Okotoks said:
E3 Durhams said:

Interesting at the end there he said if he gets a good bull out of those flushes he will make it available to anyone who wants to use him. I hope that includes reasonably priced semen.

E3 Durhams said:
80C would seem to be too big in my mind for a grass fed operation. I don't doubt he worked for you, just find it interesting. You should post some pictures of your cattle amigo.

Gus was a bull that tuen lower some big Tribune and Enticer cows.
Not saw big animals from there.
Not used him directly as semen was available before I start with Shorthorns. Bought a bul from him.

Only to remenber all....South American Shorthorn are not limited to this herd in Argentina.
This herd is strongly influenced by USA genetics as Tribune. Similar genetics but with a different biotype selection.
Looking for good cattle, you will find some ones here.
I'm not Argentinian, I'm Brazilian.

Dale

There was a herd in either Brazil or Argentina many decades ago that had tens of thousands of Shorthorn cows.  Was it Dugan or Duggan?  That was probably in the '50's or 60's.   

Endless Meadows

I contacted Steve French about the Argentine embryos last fall.  At that time they were planning on implanting sometime this spring, so it might still be awhile before anything could be available.

I would suggest that there are scattered pockets of very good commercially driven shorthorns out there.  The challenge might be finding them as they probably exist in smaller herds that advertise mostly local.

sue

Dale said:
There was a herd in either Brazil or Argentina many decades ago that had tens of thousands of Shorthorn cows.  Was it Dugan or Duggan?  That was probably in the '50's or 60's. 
Dale- I am not going to dig out the old catalog but I believe the bulls name was Louada Bonaparte- maybe a Bapton constuctor x Blood Royal deal? Louada purchased the Bapton herd of Scotland so this "mega bull sale to the family " was made following.  Dad had a bull out of a Blood Royal cowfamily... my parents honeymooned at Louada Farms, mom and dad stayed with Wib at the house. They still talk about the hospitality.  Anyway there are alot of marked sale catalogs from Louada Farms.  Bonaparte was shipped to Argentina. Nice write up in the old catalog- you might find it before I do?  Bapton Constructor was consider the best of the breed- I believe Calrossie of Scotland used him as well? If you all dig in Clipper King of USA's pedigree you can find Calrossie influences and I think Bapton too.

sue

Also in regards to grass fed shorthorns - Banbury Grasslands of Waterloo, Ontario has been marketing Grassfed Shorthorn Beef.  David practices stock piling and mob grazing- his family has been selling for a while.

oakview

Bonaparte was the sire of Louada's long time herd sire, Rothes King if my memory is correct.  Seems like the cow you're thinking of was Blood Royal 33rd.  In a Louada ad in the 60's, they had King's pedigree back about 8 generations or so. Rothes King, Bonaparte, Bapton Constructor, Calrossie Constellation, Welcome, and Harmony, Lawton President Roosevelt, and some Glastullich bull is the sire progression I remember, though they may not be in perfect order. Our neighbor, Ron Kellogg, bought Louada Rothes Prince, a full brother to Rothes King, from Billy Anderson in the 60's.  I bought a daughter of Prince from him and boy was she a producer! I also had daughters of Louada Aristocrat and Meadowview Constructor, both sons of Bapton Constructor.  There's a reason Clark became popular 10 years later.   

phillse

E3 Durhams said:
Medium Rare said:
Okotoks said:
E3 Durhams said:

Interesting at the end there he said if he gets a good bull out of those flushes he will make it available to anyone who wants to use him. I hope that includes reasonably priced semen.

I just looked up those 2 Argentine females to date  no offspring have been registered, but maybe in the future.

mark tenenbaum

years ago I had a show hiefer from JC Eller-Culpeper va-Who imported alot of Aberfeldy and Scottish cattle. All I remember was that she was sired by Salton North Star-and that he had biught a red bull from Aberfeldy that later was reserve at Chicago or something. She was a little sweetheart-and I do mean little.But even then then there was some dual influence around.Pen Y Bryn Farm had a big ugly roan bull From Archwood Farm-and I bought an even uglier daughter who was very big and hardoing. In retro spect-I think the bull was part milker. O0