$71 a pound

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

In a local county fair a young man received $71 a pound for his Angus steer - he had been hit by an SUV near his home 5 years earlier and spent a long time in the ICU and a longer time in rehab. He had suffered serious almost fatal injuries. From a farm family he had joined 4H and his mother credited therapeutic riding with his ability to begin walking. Although still using a motorized wheelchair he had worked the steer pretty much himself. His pride as well of that of his family was evident in the picture. The community got together and bought the steer. This is what 4H should be about - working hard for a goal and arriving there with integrity.

I'll re iterate what I said before and add a tid bit or two

I do believe the honest good folks win in the end.

I guess I am not surprised by the posters who think "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" etc - their lack of ethics is evident from multiple posts over time. I am however fairly (no greatly) appalled those posters who brag about this as a usual practice without regard for the welfare of the animal, the integrity of the industry, and the education of our children - it takes a selfish insecure individual to put winning above welfare, integrity and education. Abusing animals is sure to make a mother proud OMG what is wrong with you people?

When you arrive at the Pearly Gates (if that is the direction you are sent) you better hope like heck that St Peter isn't really a bovine and that he doesn't have a big fat needle to blow your sorry a** to oblivion - if you always do the right thing no matter who is or isn't watching then you don't have to worry about the bovine with the big needle...

Show Heifer

Now THAT is a family that it sounds like I would support 100%.

Congrats to the young man and his family!!! Folks like these give me hope for the future!

nlgriff

Now that kid and his family deserve every penny of that. Its great to see a community come together like they did.  That should be making head lines.. Not Michael Jackson(bored of hearing all about it)

aj

There are alot of great families and great stories of accomplishments like this. How many times is the national champion simple a name switch on the female? Then the female switched back into someone else's name. Great story. To the kids who participate I say congrats. I always loved the homegrown cattle that do well.

bart22

What a great story! It makes my day to hear this. Thankyou for posting this DL, and congrats to the that family! That's what this program is all about! 

chambero

The long-time showing folks from Texas on here will remember who I'm talking about, but back in the late 80s there was a young man showing down here that had been horribly burned in a natural gas explosion (I believe he was a Herzog if I remember correctly).  I think he was the only surviving member of his family.  I suspect we can't imagine how hard he had to work to get his body back to the point he could lead a calf (the burns were so bad some of his appendages were fused), but he did, he was good, and did his share of winning.  He was very well supported also.