9mos old bull still able to steer??

Help Support Steer Planet:

mightyarrows

We have this 9mos. old bull that's been in the pasture with other young bulls and a few young heifers.  We did see him riding the others.  My question is, if he we can get him cut is he worth using as a steer or just forget it and find something else.  We have in a stall now and he's a bit crazy, but he never charges, just tries to get away by backing up or kicking now.

He was an AI'd calf from Believe in Me, so my daughter really wants to use him...I just don't know if it's too late?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 9.23.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 9.23.34 AM.png
    232.9 KB · Views: 404
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 9.23.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 9.23.45 AM.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 412

GoWyo

Is this the same one as in the other post?  If not, off with his nuts too and best to just feed them out and never take them to town.  I am not a fan of BIM and his progeny are hard doing bad attitude crap.  I have a good Walks Alone cow, but made the mistake of keeping three BIM heifers from the same cow family and one was gone after first calf (no milk though her mother milked very well), and the second and third ones are on the way out along with their calves (one bad attitude with other cows, stepped on her own calf fighting with other cows the day she dropped her calf).  Their heifer calves have fed out fine with the steers and made good freezer beef.

mightyarrows

Yes this is the same one...on the mindset of keeping him and making him a steer.  So bad attitudes- check! He has that!

gsmcattle

GoWyo said:
Is this the same one as in the other post?  If not, off with his nuts too and best to just feed them out and never take them to town.  I am not a fan of BIM and his progeny are hard doing bad attitude crap.  I have a good Walks Alone cow, but made the mistake of keeping three BIM heifers from the same cow family and one was gone after first calf (no milk though her mother milked very well), and the second and third ones are on the way out along with their calves (one bad attitude with other cows, stepped on her own calf fighting with other cows the day she dropped her calf).  Their heifer calves have fed out fine with the steers and made good freezer beef.

Speaking in absolutes like this is irresponsible. We have a baldy BIM cow out of a SimAngus cow that is one of the most docile, easy keeping females in our herd. In fact she just produced a really nice heifer out of our Maine clean up bull. That being said, I'd steer this calf. I don't think it's worth it to keep him as bull. I'd seek for an upgrade as a clean up bull.

The “Easy keeper” definition changes from operation to operation, environment, elevation etc. just because some genetics work in one place doesn’t mean they will work in another.