A.I Bull Advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondMCattle

I am looking to A.I. my Christmas bonus heifer from work. She will have her first calf in march and I am looking to a.i her to a full blood Simmental bull, but would be open to another breed that would allow the calf to be registered as a percentage. She is a commercial hereford/ angus f1. Thank you for any comments, advice, and suggestions.

frostback

Is she a red baldie or black baldie? What frame? What colour calf would you like or does it matter.

blackdiamond

DiamondMCattle said:
I am looking to A.I. my Christmas bonus heifer from work. She will have her first calf in march and I am looking to a.i her to a full blood Simmental bull, but would be open to another breed that would allow the calf to be registered as a percentage. She is a commercial hereford/ angus f1. Thank you for any comments, advice, and suggestions.

Under a Char-- that is the ideal cross IMO for profit.

DiamondMCattle

She is a black baldie. Color isn't to important to me. If I had to guess her fram would be about a 4 or 5.

Barry Farms

It would probobly help if you told us if youre looking for a steer bull, maternal bull, or a jack of all trades

CAB

3C Macho, Built Right, for old school bulls that will work. HOC Broker, Combustible, Heads Up, Uprising, Gunslinger, Adkins Mr. Right On "Rocky", for newer simi bulls.

firesweepranch

What are you trying to produce? Macho will give power but tends to throw bold shoulders and will not add depth. Built right will typically make a pretty shoulder and should add gut, or at least not take away. A saw a pretty nice steer this weekend that weighed in for our carcass contest, thick and wide. His dam was a recip, Hereford angus, that did not keep her embryo so she was bred to a Shear Force son, with the resulting steer being a product of that mating. The bull's owners are on here, and they have semen for sale. We have a 3/4 bull calf by the same bull that is a November and looks very promising. As with most Shear Force sons, you need to make sure she has enough rib. He powers them up!

leanbeef

We've been in the Simmental business for over 40 years, and we started by AIing commercial cows just like the cow you have. All were small to medium framed black, black baldy, and red baldy cows that needed more grow and more muscle. Simmental is a perfect match on cows like that, and I think you'll like the cross.

A few purebred bulls I would consider would be Upgrade, Triple C Singletary, or maybe TNT Tanker. All homozygous black bulls that are also homozygous polled, so you'll get a black or black baldy calf (since your cow is a baldy) with no horns. Those bulls are all a little different, but they'll all add pounds and thickness without extreme birth weights.

Personally, I wouldn't use a heterozygous black bull in that situation unless you really don't care if you get a red calf. The chances the calf will be red are 25% or 1 in 4. That's not a low percentage. I wouldn't necessarily worry about a lot of white, but if you use a baldy Simmie bull, be prepared for some extra chrome like white belly, white legs, and white tail. You can't really predict the chances you'll get some white, but it's pretty good odds.