A.I on irrigated grass

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dave

I A.I. on an irrigated grass system. My conception rates are poor and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or any solutions.

Cattledog

Dave said:
I A.I. on an irrigated grass system. My conception rates are poor and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or any solutions.

Well, there are alot of factors that come into play when AI is involved.  Do you AI out in the open or do you AI in a place that is out of the sunlight?  Do you have free choice mineral.... preferable kelated.  Also heat detection is a huge factor.

LN

Cattledog said:
Dave said:

Well, there are alot of factors that come into play when AI is involved.  Do you AI out in the open or do you AI in a place that is out of the sunlight?  Do you have free choice mineral.... preferable kelated.  Also heat detection is a huge factor.

And what body condition they are in.

CPL

Are your conception rates as a whole poor? Say, is the clean up bull not even getting it done? If it's just your AI rates and not total conception rates I think it would go towards the methods that you are using. Semen Quality?

Now if you are having decreased conception rates throughout there may be something in your water. Are you sure they aren't taking? Are they taking and then aborting?

Dave

CPL said:
Are your conception rates as a whole poor? Say, is the clean up bull not even getting it done? If it's just your AI rates and not total conception rates I think it would go towards the methods that you are using. Semen Quality?

Now if you are having decreased conception rates throughout there may be something in your water. Are you sure they aren't taking? Are they taking and then aborting?
Dave said:
I think they are taking then aborting. My vet  thinks there may be a nitrogen spike causes this. Any suggestions?

cowman 52

We've bred a BUNCH of cows the past 6-8 years,  have had et clinics pitch a fit because the cows were on wheat pasture,  We're told cotton seed products were going to be a problem,  fescue would wreck the program,  minerals would screw it up,  [this I agree with to an extent]  Have come to the point that about all we worry with is body condition and the supposed fact that reproduction condition may be as far as 1 year behind body condition.  The last group was 43 head on DRY pasture carrying 3-5 month old calves,  missed 2 out of the 43,  105 head on dry pasture w/calves fed 5 #extruded cotton seed a day missed 3 ,  Did 86 percent  in southern  NE, 650 head,  only common link was the mineral program,  vigrotone 32stctplus  or the close equlivent. Were the wrecks were no mineral program, or no management as far as keeping the cows coming,  didn't have to be fat and yes some lost some weight but still got pregnant.  
Just a view from the backend of a cow

jbw

Your grass is washy, we have more trouble in wet springs, the cows are eating to much water, I wish we had the 'hard' western grasses, cows and calves do real well on those type of grasses, I would try supplementing with something starting well ahead of breeding and after they are bred you should be able to coast. The good mineral program is also key.

Dave

jbw said:
Your grass is washy, we have more trouble in wet springs, the cows are eating to much water, I wish we had the 'hard' western grasses, cows and calves do real well on those type of grasses, I would try supplementing with something starting well ahead of breeding and after they are bred you should be able to coast. The good mineral program is also key.
I'm using the chelated minerals. What would you suppement with? corn?

jbw

Talk to your feed man, I don't know what is the most economical in your region, I would use silage or silage with a little dry distillers, it doesn't take much, corn would work. It would also get your cows coming up everyday, and that is real nice when heat detecting and breeding.

Dave

jbw said:
Talk to your feed man, I don't know what is the most economical in your region, I would use silage or silage with a little dry distillers, it doesn't take much, corn would work. It would also get your cows coming up everyday, and that is real nice when heat detecting and breeding.
okay. thanks to all for your help.