A lot of you asked

Help Support Steer Planet:

stumpy

Many of you have asked me what Guses mother looks like so I am finally getting around to posting a picture. She is, in my mind a very classic looking shorthorn cow. Twig and I decided that Alta Cedar First Blood 5R would be a good choice for a flush since she seems to click with Canadian bloodlines. Monday we will see what we put in the tank! I look forward to your feedback. I realize she is picking her nose, but if you watch me long enough I will too. ;)
Thanks,
Jeff Stump

Attachments

• Barjsrckendra0223.jpg
    Barjsrckendra0223.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 251

Doc

She looks good.Let us know how she does. I've been studying the Alta Cedar catalog. I wouldn't mind having some of that Primo 40P semen , just don't need 20 straws.

ShowmanQ

I would LOVE to have a group of about 15 females exactly like her....that's how you make a mark in the breed (clapping) She looks super.

JoeBnTN

Stumpy,

She looks great!!  Refresh my memory - wasn't she the heifer that Twig found at JC's and then she was shown out west for a while?  I remember when Twig had Dazzler in Louisville as a calf, he had his full sister and a roan heifer from JC's that I was thinking might be this female.  Am I right?  I really loved that roan heifer calf.  <cowboy>

TJ

I'm not going to lie... I like that cow... I like Gus too.  Have you ever thought about sexing Gus semen?

stumpy

TJ- We have sexed Gus semen avaliable.

Joe- I think that may have been a sister

Thank-you all for the compliments I will pass your thoughts along to Twig as well.

jbzdad

Jeff, there are only to kinds of liars in the world, those that say they never did and those that say they stopped( in regard to picking of noses of course) do you know if there is any sexed Maine semen(hard core, Irish whiskey, premium blend,etc) ...it would be more exciting to work toward those maternal matings if heifers were more likely.... is sexed semen available for the steer bulls? carnac, manchild,etc ?...Doc

oakbar

Stumpy,

Thanks for your help today!!!  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to  get out to Hawkeye to pick up the Gus semen after the Maine sale and they weren't delivering to the Expo tomorrow so I just asked them to send it all to Westwood and I'll pick up the balance of it when I go down to watch them flush Myrtle Bo.  Their shipping charge was less than the gas it would have taken to drive it over to Westwood anyway!!

The picture of Gus's mother sure reinforces my decision to use Gus on this flush.  We'll most likely use him on another flush yet this year--either the Dream Girl cow or the Trump/Lovely Lady(Tyra) heifer before we breed her back.  We're getting pretty anxious---20 days and counting until Tyra's due date!!  I've attached their pictures to refresh your memory!

Thanks again!! 

Attachments

• SS+Drm+Girl+3110[1].JPG
    SS+Drm+Girl+3110[1].JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 210
  • BFS Lovely Lady TP733 1-08.JPG
    BFS Lovely Lady TP733 1-08.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 187

Davis Shorthorns

I am definatly going to be flushing my Kilmilhill to him this year.  And as ITK said make the ultimate Twig animal.  (thumbsup)

Jill

stumpy said:
TJ- We have sexed Gus semen avaliable.

Joe- I think that may have been a sister

Thank-you all for the compliments I will pass your thoughts along to Twig as well.
What does the sexed semen run?

justintime

I have to commend Stumpy for being a great help in getting Gus semen shipped for a flush I was doing in Indiana quickly. I phoned him when I found out that this donor was going to be bred two days later, and asked him if there was any way we could get sexed semen to Indiana in time for use. He was able to get it there the next day!  The flush was done on Wednesday, and we only got 4 grade 1 embryos, but that sure beats O.

stumpy

We have decide to price it at 100 per unit. These straws are the 2.1 mil. concentration breeding straws. We have used them successfully on flushes by using 3 units at 12 hours and 2 at 24 hours. We are putting up a few 5 mil. straws and if anyone is interested we would need a commitment by mid March, we haven't decided on the price for these yet. Thank-you again for all of the feedback, I really appreciate it!