A new calving ease Shorthorn sire

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

knabe said:
Has a bull ever vaccinated for IBR been tested clean?

Do you have to keep them separated from vaccinated cattle?

Does breeding Ibr vaccinated cattle expose bull?

Is there an accepted protocol for "cleaning" them?

I have never heard of a IBR vaccinated animal testing IBR negative. Basically the vaccination gives them an IBR titre in their blood. I don't think there is any way to get an animal who was once IBR positive to ever test IBR negative. If there is, I have never heard of it.  I'm not sure about breeding an IBR negative bull to females that have been vaccinated. I guess there is a chance the bull could get a titre, but I'm not sure. I did have an IBR negative bull, HC Merger 93M, who was used in our herd for 4 years. His testicles started to degenerate before we got semen collected.

If you are wondering why a person would even try to collect semen for Britain, I presently am testing a bull to see if he is IBR negative. If he is, the interested party is wanting 1000 - 1500 straws of semen. That is more semen than most Shorthorn bulls ( other than a very select few) ever sell in North America. To my knowledge, this Brit is not related to the Queen or any other royalty although I think his great grandfather and Winston Churchill's grandfather did trade roosters. ( I'm not sure if that makes them related or not)  

BTW, the Queen has owned some Shorthorns and I know she has a herd of Angus presently. There is a herd of Shorthorns right beside her summer home, and she oftentimes rides her horse through them. ( with the permission of the owner).  Princess Margeret is the Patron of the Shorthorn breed in Britain and she attends many Shorthorn shows and events each year. She was at ringside at the Royal Highland show when I was there three years ago, and watched the entire show. ... just a little useless information!

knabe

outspoken said:
justintime said:
just a little useless information- and plenty more where that came from!

you said it not me-- but you did forget to add one part...

You keep talking about yourself.  I thought you were making progress.  Perhaps not.  How's that bull/embryo/semen sale going?

Duncraggan

C'mon there, if you don't post about yourself or your own experiences what would the SteerPlanet be about?

Snide comments and remarks only make posters reluctant to share their information with the rest of us, to the detriment of us all!

vanridge

aj said:
I just think it would be cool if the king and queen had Shorthorns out behind the mansion or castle or whatever it is.

Actually, the royal family owns a herd of black angus cattle. Prince Charles is in charge of them. (son did a speech on angus in 4-H this year..)

vanridge

justintime said:
Here is a picture of HC Bar Code 16X ET who was used on all our heifers in 2011. Of 28 heifers that calved here, 27 calved unassisted at birth and 1 was a malpresentation ( upside down, backwards and breach).

He looks a lot like his sire, maybe a little longer head. Nice looking bull, I wonder if he will be a little thicker than his sire when he's mature?

trevorgreycattleco

How can you tell how thick the sire is?  Normally with the pedigree from the bottom side you will get a longer head shape. At least I did.

I see a lot of old bulls being used again in the angus breed over the last 5 years as well as shorties. I don't think it's a bad thing to bring back sound genetics to plug in again. It doesn't hurt that you can promote something rare and valuable as well.

Doc

Duncraggan said:
C'mon there, if you don't post about yourself or your own experiences what would the SteerPlanet be about?

Snide comments and remarks only make posters reluctant to share their information with the rest of us, to the detriment of us all!

You are exactly right. I , myself  enjoy reading about the experiences of some of the others on here. Wether it is with Shorties or some of the other breeds. Whereas "outspoken" appears that he is just jealous that he's not done the things and or has the knowledge that some of the people on here has.

comercialfarmer

justintime said:
I have never heard of a IBR vaccinated animal testing IBR negative. Basically the vaccination gives them an IBR titre in their blood. I don't think there is any way to get an animal who was once IBR positive to ever test IBR negative. If there is, I have never heard of it. 

If the immune response was not appropriate after vaccination or with extended periods of time in some animals without repeated exposure, it would be theoretically possible for the titer to drop below levels that would register.  Not impossible, but this would be very unlikely.   

justintime said:
I'm not sure about breeding an IBR negative bull to females that have been vaccinated. I guess there is a chance the bull could get a titre, but I'm not sure.

In all practicality, no.  It's like the flu vaccine for us.  If your wife is vaccinated, it doesn't mean you are protected and that is what titers are measuring, the antibody response to a virus or bacteria. 

aj

I also wonder if the pheasant bull may work well......but I don't think there is much if any semen left on him.

justintime

aj said:
I also wonder if the pheasant bull may work well......but I don't think there is much if any semen left on him.

aj... you are right in that there is no Pheasant Creek Leader 4th semen left. I still have a few embryos off him as well as two direct daughters and Bar Code who is a direct son. I agree that this bull has a place in today's beef industry despite being born 45 years ago. He is adding softness to his offspring, breed character, good color, moderate frames and structural soundness. The offspring I have had have all had great feet and excellent leg structure... and of course, he has also helped to moderate birth weights.

J

JTM

I like the Bar Code bull. He seems like a functional bull that you would want to keep back some females from. The 74 lb birthweight and then being over 2000 lbs. at two years old is some good growth. He looks about like a 6.2 frame? He must keep his flesh really well since he weighed that much at two years old. I think Complete was around 1800 lbs and Star Bucks was about 1650 at two years old. They are both a bit smaller in frame than Bar Code though.  I think this bull would work really well in my program being bred to Star bucks, Complete, and Renegade daughters. Although at this time I've got plenty of bulls and don't need to AI. Nice bull JIT.  <cowboy>

justintime

JTM said:
I like the Bar Code bull. He seems like a functional bull that you would want to keep back some females from. The 74 lb birthweight and then being over 2000 lbs. at two years old is some good growth. He looks about like a 6.2 frame? He must keep his flesh really well since he weighed that much at two years old. I think Complete was around 1800 lbs and Star Bucks was about 1650 at two years old. They are both a bit smaller in frame than Bar Code though.  I think this bull would work really well in my program being bred to Star bucks, Complete, and Renegade daughters. Although at this time I've got plenty of bulls and don't need to AI. Nice bull JIT.  <cowboy>

Thanks JTM.  Bar Code is very similar to Major Leroy in his fleshing ability. I haven't measured him, but I am guessing you are very close to his frame score at 6.2. I was a bit surprised when I weighed Bar Code this spring as I was guessing him to be around 1900 lbs, but he weighed 2020 lbs. He does have a lot of body so it adds up make a lot of weight. I have been a bit overwhelmed by the response to Bar Code since I posted his picture on SP. I have had semen inquiries from 4 countries in the past few days. As soon as he is done breeding he will definitely be heading to stud for a few months.

knabe

justintime said:
knabe said:
how about a pic update on what sold last year JIT?

What do you mean " what sold last year?"

Didnt some pheasant calves sell in 2011 or were those embryos ian your sale?

I'll look it up again. Came up when I googled.