A&T Captian Obvious vs. Jake's Proud Jazz

Help Support Steer Planet:

WintersShowCattle

I have a couple of pretty big cows one is a Sonny the other is CF Extra. I need a calving ease bull but still need something to down size and power these two cows up. They are fairly good cows that just need to put a little more power into their babies.

Show Heifer

JPJ is obviously a proven bull.  Lots of calves out there to draw experience from...
But...
If you want to be on the "cutting edge" and possibly have "one of the first", then go with Captain Obvious. He seems to have all the pieces and the pedigree to make a long solid run as an AI sire.
If you have questions about CO then email Sue. I am sure she will tell you what he works on, and what he doesn't.

aj

I wonder if jpj semen price could go to 50 $.I hope not cause the breeds as much as his influence as they can get. Both excellent bulls.

sue

I saw this post last night and have tried to think of someone that used CO on Trump or Sonny bloodlines? I know the phone calls I get on a regular basis ask about this type of mating. Jeff Aegerter and Stade purchased the 1st son of Captain- Nitro and I am sure that he was used on Trump lines and the results will be here soon. Pretty sure Rick Osterday used a son of CO on Sonny lines???

Here is what I am told when folks see CO offspring and have JPJ calves at home: Captain is longer from Hooks to Pins, cleaner sheathed, deeper flanked and longer strided. CO is out producing himself and I feel there are sons of JPJ that are doing the same?

I can report that the 1st CO daughter calved sometime after chores and American Idol  (pop)- unassisted last night. She was bred to her brother ( Premier) and frankly she looks like she could calve again.

I do feel he is very versitile - bulls, steers and heifers.  I hope you can make it to OBE and see some of his calves in person- we do have video posted of bulls from Denver too. Just search lakesideshorthorns on youtube or go to my web page.

Attachments

• captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 245

sue

Finally talked to a breeder that used CO on a Sonny daughter.
They got twin heifers and said "I would love them" .... which means beef type and  cowy and maybe not enough leg to compete in today's show ring??? I got the feeling they wanted flesh in the mating though and maybe the Sonny had  more frame too?
I am anxious to see them. They also have a son of Captain X Vortec and are very happy with those calves too-- He worked very well on a 844 daughters.

WintersShowCattle

sue said:
Finally talked to a breeder that used CO on a Sonny daughter.
They got twin heifers and said "I would love them" .... which means beef type and  cowy and maybe not enough leg to compete in today's show ring??? I got the feeling they wanted flesh in the mating though and maybe the Sonny had  more frame too?
I am anxious to see them. They also have a son of Captain X Vortec and are very happy with those calves too-- He worked very well on a 844 daughters.

[/quoteThank sue I am going to get some from lance next weekend see ya at the expo cant wait to see your girls!!!]

Davis Shorthorns

We got a CO son that we are going to start using this year.  I will let everyone know how the calves are.  I think I will have a good idea oh how they will turn out next year.  So far he has exceded all of my expectations on how a bull should look.  Bout a 5 frame, deep bodied, nice smooth shoulder, good front end, and a very nice overall thickness to him. 

shortdawg

aj said:
I wonder if jpj semen price could go to 50 $.I hope not cause the breeds as much as his influence as they can get. Both excellent bulls.

I agree that both are good bulls and have their places in the breed. IMO JPJ will produce the better steers and clubby heifers if that is what you are after and CO will produce the better bulls and breeding heifers.

sue

Davis Shorthorns said:
We got a CO son that we are going to start using this year.  I will let everyone know how the calves are.  I think I will have a good idea oh how they will turn out next year.  So far he has exceded all of my expectations on how a bull should look.  Bout a 5 frame, deep bodied, nice smooth shoulder, good front end, and a very nice overall thickness to him.   

Here is my Captain heifer bred back to a Captain son ( Premier). I took this two days after she calved- the calf was 70#, unassisted.

Attachments

• Captaindaughter_shrunk.JPG
    Captaindaughter_shrunk.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 233

sue

Okay... I am proud and maybe need to put the camera down?

Attachments

• Captaindaughter_uddershrunk.JPG
    Captaindaughter_uddershrunk.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 211

CWshorthorns

nothing wrong with taking pictures love to look at them. I know when my wife goes to take pictures of the cattle or anything she will take two or three diff. cameras with her and i must say i was suprised at some of the things that you catch on camera that you may not see at the time

garybob

sue said:
Davis Shorthorns said:

Here is my Captain heifer bred back to a Captain son ( Premier). I took this two days after she calved- the calf was 70#, unassisted.
Just an observation, but, don't those DoverRanch-influenced cattle just look better, better, and better, to Yuns the more you look at 'em?

GB

garybob

What I'd like to see, believe it, or not, is CO bred to a white-faced FULL Fleckvieh cow(non-dilluter), or a good, rip-snortin' Gelbvieh (non-diluter, preferrably without that busted-up udder), or, a good, li'l,1150-lb( breed-colored )Tarentaise cow, with that magic, LITTLE udder that raises calves 70% of what the dam weighs.

Pinch me! Yuns know I'm dreaming!

GB

shortyjock89

GB, you MIGHT be able to talk TJ into doing that with a Tarentaise....I know he's in love with the Tarentaise x Lowline deal, and it's working beautifully for him, but he might be persuaded...I even got him to own a couple of good 'horns.

sue

I have a Fleckvieh fan in the pipe line.... not sure who the lucky girl is but he is using CO  in a flush?  I do not know a thing about the breed

.....  I am waiting for the CO X CO combo now

garybob

sue said:
I have a Fleckvieh fan in the pipe line.... not sure who the lucky girl is but he is using CO  in a flush?  I do not know a thing about the breed

.....  I am waiting for the CO X CO combo now
Yuns ought to see the Fleckviehs  in Mexico, and Central America. IMMMMMMMMMMMMPRESSIVE!Only seen the breeder websites in Guatemala and Honduras, but I've seen the ones in Mexico, first-hand. The Braunviehs and Charolais are jaw-dropping, too.

GB

Latest posts