ABC steer classed out at San Antonio

Help Support Steer Planet:

ware6

We have a great, smoky ABC steer that didn't class at San Antonio.  I believe he should have.  All things considered, are there any tricks to make a sheath longer other than surgery?  We'll take him to Houston, in 2 weeks. Thanks steer6

4C

I've classed Americans at San Antonio and Houston before; I even served on state committees that set guidelines for classification of steers in Texas.  I can tell you that a long sheath alone, will not necessarily get you in the ABCs.  It's more about breed character, specifically in the front 1/3 of the body.  Your calf must exhibit the correct ear length and outward/downward angle to it.  It must also possess a bos indicus type of head and eye shape with some extra throat and dewlap hide.  Sheath length, for anyone that knows what theyre doing, is not a big priority.

ware6

Thanks for information.  If you think your American calf won't class, where do you try to put him to keep him out of AOB?
Maybe, Chi?

ware6

HERE IS A HEAD VIEW AND A SIDE VIEW.  APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. THANKS.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    761 KB · Views: 369

bjam4

not enough sheath or ear to be an american probably should run chi at houston

JSchroeder

My amateur opinion…

His sheath isn’t short, it doesn’t exist.

He doesn’t have enough/any dewlap.

His ears are just a touch below medium sized at best.

His ears point up, not down and they don’t have a bell shape to them.

The only thing that even begins to make me think ABC is the very slight crest and even that’s questionable.

Chi, Charolais, or AOB; pick your poison.  Does he actually have any American blood?

ware6

AMERICAN DAM CHAROLAIS SIRE.  HONESTLY, WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WOULD COMPETE BEST AS?  IS HE WORTH TAKING?

chambero

I'd run him AOB for the following reasons:

All of the breeds are tough.  Really doesn't make much difference.  But - there won't be any other calves in the Chis with a neck like that.  He will stand out negatively.  Same deal in the Charolais.  But I'd run him Charolais before I did Chi.  At least in the AOBs there is such a mix of calf types that it might not stand out as much.

You've worked all year with him, might as well take him.  You can't tell by a photo whether one would really make the sale or not, but he's certainly respectable.

Bradenh

if you are going to do aob may as well do the suicide shot and try abc and then get thrown down in aob. . . he wont class though, he shows no sheath and trash/hip set of an american