? about creep feed philosophy

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

We have always fed an approximately 18% protein 4% fat feed for creep feed but recently I have been thinking about a more concentrated feed with the theory that the calves will get more raw nutrients from a more concentrated feed while needing to eat less.  Am I on the right track or would it burn their stomachs?

thebulllady

I don't think more concentrated would be a good idea.  We've had good success with a basic sweet feed mix for the creep feeder, and the calves turn out great.  The ones we decide to show are changed to a show ration at weaning, and the others stay on the basic feed.. which makes them grow out into good replacement heifers.  We mix our feed with a cotton product that is 20% protein and 13% fat, but don't feed it straight.

Cattledog

Actually, creep feeding is pretty inefficient as the calves stomachs aren't developed enough to utilize the creep available.  I've read that it takes up to 5 months for all of their stomachs to fully develop and be able to utilize the grain like an older animal would.  I would stick with what you're doing.  I feed a pretty fluffy creep myself and my calves wean off well.

SRC

We're feeding a 22% protein ration with decox. mixed with a mixed grain ration that consists of (50% cracked corn, and the oither 50% is made up of about half whole oats, barley and wheat.) What are your opinions on that ration?