ABS Simmentals

Help Support Steer Planet:

mooch

Ohio Breeder that heifer has a very nice udder even though I am an old guy who has done my own cowherd thing for the past going on 40yrs . But what do I know , you have to be a 23 yr old to know anything anymore I guess. And I guess I missed the conversation about Salute being a POS.

Bawndoh

And I guess I missed the conversation where old men know everything, and young girls are "too smart for their own good".
Not.
I see people like you guys every day with work.  My best, and most happy and satisfied repeat paying customers are those who treat me with respect and ask for my advice.
Should I just never give my opinion on anything until I am at least 50 years old then? 

chambero

Bawndoh said:
And I guess I missed the conversation where old men know everything, and young girls are "too smart for their own good".
Not.
I see people like you guys every day with work.  My best, and most happy and satisfied repeat paying customers are those who treat me with respect and ask for my advice.
Should I just never give my opinion on anything until I am at least 50 years old then? 

Don't overreact to someone getting ticked that you nailed an animal that the owner (and from what little I and other can tell from a photo) considered good.  That reaction has nothing to do with your age or gender.  Number one, most cattlemen could care less what the textbook says anything on a cow should look like.  Even though we all appreciate the value of livestock judging at a high level can do education wise, few of us buy cattle based on nitpicky things we are taught to look for by coaches/professors.

Short story is its very hard to judge an animal off of a photo - let alone something as detail oriented as an udder.  The old "if you can't say something nice" rule is always in effect.  There is a difference in trying to educate and just being critical for the fun of it - espcially if you can't prove you are right.

olsun

Well folks, I am sure sorry that this post went amok. I am going to order some Macho semen even though he sires females with questionable udders (lol). OH breeder, I want to thank you for your information, and for your mature handling of a rather tense situation. I respect your attempt at being helpful. Thanks again. Earl

kanshow

You go for it Olsun!  I hope you get a whole bunch of udders just like OH Breeder's cow.  I plan on breeding several to Macho this spring..  I might even flush a DO daughter to him -  I know horrified!   

R1Livestock

I'm just going to say it simple.

The original poster wanted to know about ABS simmental bulls.  OH breeder posted a picture of a cow out of an ABS bull that he believes has a good udder (as do many others).  This photo was posted so as the OP could better formulate an opinion on ABS bulls and their functionality.  Bawndoh works for Genex and decided to chime in, without provocation, so as the "educate" us all about the quality of OH's heifer's udder.  We now have completely ran off course of trying to be a helpful resource about ABS simmental bulls, of which many posters have experience with and could have been potentially helpful.

Didn't our moms all tell us something about not saying anything if you don't have something nice to say?

Bawndoh

Boo Hoo....thanks for the recap R1...I am sure everyone needed it.
Now you people are all calling Macho a terrible bull yourselves, and doing it out of sarcasm.  When did Macho being a bad bull ever come up in my postings?
The next thing I know, you will be calling me jealous because I probably don't have cows that are as marvelous as yours...or in your minds, I don't have cows at all.

kanshow

Bawndoh, the problem with your posts is that you are coming off as a know-it-all.  It has nothing to do with your age or gender, its your tone. 

KanDoo

I am sure bawndoh will have the last word. this has been entertaining to say the least>>>

mooch

Bawndoh said:
Not.

That may be the only intelligent thing you have said in this whole thread.

Bawndoh

mooch said:
Bawndoh said:
Not.

Hilarious.  Do you have kids?  Would you appreciate it if they worked their a$$e$ off on a project, only to get beat by someone who is quite a bit more senior.  I mean, what the hell could a young kid REALLY know about ANYTHING??  Im surprised my Mommy even lets me whipe my own butt....I must barely know how to do it myself after all.

herefordfootball

Bawndoh said:
mooch said:
Bawndoh said:
Not.

Hilarious.  Do you have kids?  Would you appreciate it if they worked their a$$e$ off on a project, only to get beat by someone who is quite a bit more senior.  I mean, what the hell could a young kid REALLY know about ANYTHING??  Im surprised my Mommy even lets me whipe my own butt....I must barely know how to do it myself after all.

You should probaly remember that you are kinda representing Genex itself when posting on here.

Sammy

You are costing your company sales, dummy - there are lots of semen companies to buy from - since your have identified yourself don't be at all surprised at all when you are contacted by Genex - good bye -

kanshow

Sammy is right. 

You are representing a company.  You have an obligation to behave likewise.    Your behavior on here has been ... well childish.    And the really sad part of it is that you just don't get it.   You think you know everything.  You don't.  

Bawndoh

Ha Ha Ha.  I will let you know when I get my phone call!  It will probably be one telling me how great I was for sticking to my guns :)  much like the PM's I have been getting.
I am really quite stunned....someone who is calling me a name, is also telling me I don't know everything.  What I know forsure is that namecalling is not a reliable argumentative skill  <beer>
Sammmy..."up where I come from Ya'll" there's only about 4 companies to buy from.  Nobody cares what anybody says about a bull.  If the bull is good, they use him!

mooch

Bawndoh said:
mooch said:
Bawndoh said:
Not.

Guess what hot shot, 3 kids , same age as you and younger.Have given them free rein for quite a few years too.Let them learn from their mistakes and adjust on their own. You would be suprized at the number of young people I have helped in my life get sarted on their career paths.The thing they all have in common is they respect people , know when to shut up, and worked for what they wanted. They are a both men and women. They can talk to anybody in a professional manner and are open minded to different points of view . So I and most people do not have problem listening to younger people if they can communicate in a professional and civilized manner.Hell there are alot of younger people on here that seem to know quite a bit and can carry on a convrsation. But if my kids talked to anybody with the tone you use , they better be ready to duck no matter how old they are .

LinZ

Bawndoh said:
I am really quite stunned....someone who is calling me a name, is also telling me I don't know everything.  What I know forsure is that namecalling is not a reliable argumentative skill  <beer>
And yet you called Kanshow and R1 smart a$$es in your arguments...

And while there are exceptions to every rule and you may be one of them..for some one who likes photography and does it as part of their living..even taking pictures in cow pasture.. you have none of your own cows from anytime in the last couple of years? Or do they just not look as they should for you to post them on here from everyone to critisize and  you have done so with others.

As R1 did.. I am also going to recap... The original poster asked for opinions on ABS bulls..not Genex and not yours.. if you have nothing to say about those bulls you shouldn't have said anything...certainly not thrown in the Club King pictures..

As for the picture of OH Breeders heifer, we all know that no bovine has a perfect udder...and not many at all have anywhere close to what looks like a perfect under a few hours after they calve before the calf has had a chance to nurse i down. What everyone is getting upset with you about is not the fact that you might or might not see a couple of imperfections in a heifer's udder they are getting upset at how you address it. For one more disagree with you on the fact that you think the udder is bad. That is certainly not a bad udder in mu opinion and obviously that is the opinion of several other posters. However, for you to rudely attack another breeder on here who has certainly had more experience in the cattle business and, due to the fact I Have never seen or heard of your herd unlikes OH breeders I would say has also has a little more success in the cattle business than you, is just plain unacceptable. If you want to pick a fight with someone which you seem so willing to do why don't you do so with one of "those guys" you deal with all of the times you don't like so much..face to face... This I seriously doubt you would do becasue if you treated someone in person with the same disrespect and know it all attitude  as you do fellow breeders and posters on here you would no doubt be missing a few teeth and would have a sore behind from the butt kicking you would get. Anyone of us could sit at a computer and find a cow or bull that was more ideal in some areas than the one they looked at previously.. NOt that hard to do. However until you yourself start producing better I wouldn't be so quick to judge others...and even when or IF you do produce something some might see as being better with your attitude I doubt you will get much interest in anyone doing business with you.

As far as education... going to college or even supporting yourself does not mean you know much or are such a good person. Drug dealers support themselves quite well..but noone wants anything to do with them..nor do they have brains becausemost of them are braindead from their addiction... but they make enough money to live well..

And noone is talking down to you on age. Several well respected members on here are your age or younger... Justin, Chris...and the list goes on. I myself am only 21 and yes I do like to voice my opinions but only when they are welcomed and are on a subject I know something about.. Your opinion was not asked for on that heifer's udder and seeing as how the only ones you can find better are a few exceptional cows that belong to someone else other than yourself I doubt how much you know about udders or the ability to breed good cattle that have good udders. Further more...seeing as how  you can't give the original posters any constructive opinions on the orginal post it would also appear you don't know too much about ABS Simmental bulls...

All of that aside...for ABS bulls here are the ones that I would suggest using personally. I don't use alot of ABS bulls but they do have a few that I like and have used in the past and I have seen calves out of.

Macho- Really good when crossed with angus cattle. Use on a deep bodied soggy made cow.Throws really good maternal cattle..good udders included.
Pathfinder-Dream On infuenced but he himself is a really nice baldy that throws stylish attractive calves.
Ranchand...Nice looking bull...calves I Have seen out of him have been a little coarse through the front end...would like to see more extentsion through the front end as well but he will sure make em stout and throw plenty of muscle.
Sherrif Taylor... My favorite ABS bull.. I like his pedigree..He has a clubby look and throws true to that even when bred Purebred. You can use him on those stout coaser fronted Simmental cows and get deep bodied, good fronted attractive cattle that are purebred to boot..
Another one to throw in that I wouldn't use simply because in using him 99% of the time you sacrifice alot of growth is Goldmine.. However...not many are as good as calving ease as he is..and some care more about a live calf than a big one.

JMHO

LinZ

kanshow

(clapping) (clapping)  Good Post Linz!      You are so right!  There are lots of young people on here who are mature, respectful, and knowledgable.   

Bawndoh

LinZ, I don't have any updated images of my own cows.  I don't really care what anybodies opinion is on them, which is why I have never posted them.  I certainly trust my own, and those of the people closer to me (and my area) who's opinions might matter.  What would posting an image of my own cattle prove anyways?

Now you are trying to play the boss and tell me I should CERTAILY not have posted pictures of another bull.  Well, who made you el presidente?  You are being a boss, and telling me what I should, and shouldn't do now!

The problem here is, that everyone has blown ONE comment out of proportion.  I basically think that OH's vision of a good udder is quite swayed.  THAT IS ALL.  Everyone took that as "he is a terrible cattleman, he has shit cows, Macho is a bad bull, and so on, and so on."  Therefore calling me "educated, uneducated, a smarta$$ (which I really take as a compliment), young, childish, stupid, etc., etc.  I am not the one who has created this storm, YOU all are.

To those of you who called me things, or made assumptions, well, I had to extend my answers in order to defend myself.  Can you really blame me?  Now you are telling me I am a fool, because I gave you all of that information in those answers.  

According to Mapquest LinZ, we are about 1500 miles from eachother.  I would be surprised if you have heard of ANY Canadian breeders at this point.  Besides, when did this become a popularity contest?  When did it turn into a fistfight, and a tooth-knocking-out contest?  THAT'S real MATURE  (thumbsup).  If a semen sales rep came into your yard, or some other breeders yard (that you know) and disagreed with what a good or bad udder is would you REALLY punch them in the face??  Wow.

You said that you would only provide your opinion on a subject you know about...well I did, and people thought that was horrid.  Explain that one.  When did this turn into a "person who could breed a cow with the most perfect udder" contest?  That's what you, and many others are wanting it to be.