Accuracy of TH test

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

We sent in three TH test and all came back free.  I am happy about this, however, wonder about any contamination giving a false test?  One of them was out of a DF Vegas cow, one was Milkman breeding, and one was out of Believe in Me.  Just wondering how they do the test and how accurate it is.  The paperwork said all samples were good when received.

OH Breeder

nkotb said:
We sent in three TH test and all came back free.  I am happy about this, however, wonder about any contamination giving a false test?  One of them was out of a DF Vegas cow, one was Milkman breeding, and one was out of Believe in Me.  Just wondering how they do the test and how accurate it is.  The paperwork said all samples were good when received.

In laboratory testing general what you would be concerned with is False Negative. But in this case DNA does not lie. If a result is wrong it had to be through human error(Sample handling or identification). Or a mutation in DNA that was not yet discovered that would alter the results. BUT with the TH test I would find that hard to believe since it is pretty set in stone the anomaly associated TH DNA. Suggestion if you feel your results are wrong have the test repeated and make sure they have accurate information on the samples. IF you "think" the test is wrong, why do you "think" its wrong? Did you have a TH calf out of an animal that tested negative? If so then it goes back to sample handling or identification in the laboratory.

nkotb

I don't necessarily think the test is wrong, just figured surely out of three one of them would be a carrier.  I'm glad they are not.

aj

If one of the tested animals is a twin the test gets a little trickier. I had the experience.

Bulldaddy

You can usually tell by looking if the are a TH carrier.  I wonder if any of them appeared to be carriers and that is why you are worried about the tests being incorrect?  Otherwise, the chances that the test were incorrect are very slim and nothing to worry about unless you get a carrier calf out of one of the heifers or sent the samples to Obama Genetcs in Washington, DC.

Latest posts