Adkins Mr Right On- Simmental bull question

Help Support Steer Planet:

leanbeef

Wright-Way Simmental said:
I have been around the bull alot last summer and early fall. He is long bodied, long and clean fronted, and has alot of thickness while being very sound and correct for a two year old bull on the road. He is probably a low 6 on frame not small but not real big.  I wouldnt worry too much about him being double bred dream on or sophie, they are both dang good cow families. Line breeding can work and work well. The one calf out of him is a very good march bull calf, he was impressive as was the cow that calf was out of. The question on number is take them for what they worth, numbers with most likely less than .25 accuracy do to being young.  The way i look at it is i could care less if the numbers are low if they are not high accuracy, (if they bring alot of other good things to the table), to people that wouldn't use a bull with slightly low numbers can you really say you would go to a sale looking for a bred heifer or open heifer and not buy one that is almost phenotypically perfect and puts everything together you are looking for except has low numbers and you wouldn't attempt to buy it?

The EPD thing is a little different to me if you're talking about bulls vs females. With one female in the herd, I can AI her to a bull that will fix her numbers. If I use a bull on a herd of females or AI more than one cow, then he's pulling the EPDs (and maybe performance) down on my entire calf crop. I'm not saying there's no place for a bull like this guy...I actually appreciate moderation, and I don't necessarily think we're always right to pile performance pedigree on top of performance pedigree...I'm just saying that any breeder who puts any value in EPDs would not be impressed with the numbers on this calf. Does that make him a bad individual?...No. Does it make him more difficult to work into a breeding scenario?...It does at my place.

As far as accuracies go, yes...cattle without progeny have low accuracies, but that doesn't have anything to do with why their EPDs are below average. Maybe they will improve when that animal gets progeny on the ground...maybe they won't. For me, a bull like that is one I would watch until he had some proof before I jumped on the bandwagon and used him. There have been a lot of cattle I've appreciated for one reason or another that didn't work their way into my breeding program.

I will say this, though...I've been through some of Gib Yardley's cattle a couple of times, and those are real world females. They're not the best EPDed cattle you'll find, but they're the right kind. I wish I could buy a truck load of those females and see what I could do with em.

Stickman2011

Anyone that is doubting using this bull because of his numbers need to take a step back. Using a big numbers bull may work sometime but think if those replacement heifers you can keep out this bull are worth more than your high number feeder calves.  Schick is not new at this game and i wouldnt be doubting a bull hes promoting because he is linebred.  TO all doubter get a breath of fresh air and think a little now and then please.

leanbeef

I would have to agree with that. I guess I'm actually the one who first pointed out the bull's numbers weren't very good...it was really just an observation. There are so many different kinds of females and so many different breeding scenarios and so many different breeding program goals...EPDs are just one tool. I actually believe in them enough to give them some weight...that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't go to the barn and look at the cattle before we buy them or breed them. I think type and kind will always be the most important feature and the biggest piece of the breeding puzzle. Every breeder has to give weight to all the other pieces depending on his or her objectives and goals and market.

CAB

I did go out and take a look at Mr. Right On & could not find anything that I did not like about the bull other than for us, we run a PB Dream On son as a clean up, so we would more than likely try to find a different pedigree to use. If I were looking for a Simi bull to use & didn't have a DO son, I would definitely try him. Fat But looked good also. Gunslinger looked promising for a young Simi bull IMO. Predator was in and looked great for a mature bull. Call of Duty turned my head a bit.AOD looks great for a PB aged SH bull.

knabe

How does his numbers stack up against club calf bulls in general and heat wave specifically?

Meaning if he's a clubby bull his ends don't matter, not even his bw

CAB

From my observation, his hair EPD may be low & I love it. I hate a bunch of tongue draggers in June, July, & August. Much rather have them shed off slick by that time of the year. We can breed em TH that way & just have smaller tongue draggers. He does have strait hair not curly, wavy type hair.