Advice and opinions on my 2011 Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

PaFFA Proud

Ok tonight out in the barn I took some recent pics of my steer. My fair is in the last week of July thru the first days of August. I used my weight tape and it says he weighs about 765lbs. I am feedin him 7.5 lbs of Honor Show CHow fitters edge 2 times a day and he gets about 12 lbs of hay a day. I hope he gets to 1300lbs for fair. I been washing once a week and rinsing everyday as long as my pipes havent frozed(today they decided to...hint him being dirty) hes coming along pretty well in the halter and sets up nicely. I am planning on taking him to the PA Beef Expo in March. He is a Maine about 8 months old. Whats yall's opinons on him?

Also I noticed he has a low front..I know in horses their loins are higher than their shoulder while growing...is this true with cattle and should his topline even out?

Ohh sorry about the hind pic he didnt want to stay still for my hubby ;D Hes a ladies man!

SANY0764.jpg

SANY0763.jpg

Bradenh

he is alittle light in the flank area, do you have him on hay alot? he looks like he could use some

Bradenh

well i know that some long stem hay like tifton will help that depth and flank alot, do you have any of that in your area?

showsteerdlux

Show stopper 95 said:
well i know that some long stem hay like tifton will help that depth and flank alot, do you have any of that in your area?
I can answer that. They are from Pa so no, no bermuda in that area. I'd say they are feeding either Orchard or possibly Timothy. The orchard will help them belly down though.

CPL

PaFFA Proud said:
Also I noticed he has a low front..I know in horses their loins are higher than their shoulder while growing...is this true with cattle and should his topline even out?

Yes

He looks like he will definitely be one that will get better with time. Post some more pictures as an update later -  they will be neat to see. He should make a good county fair steer.

vc

I would up the feed, he should be eating close to 22 pounds of grain a day you have around 208 days to get him to the gain the 535 pounds you are hoping for. He needs to average 2.5+ ADG to get there.
He should be hitting his growing stage and needs the right amount of energy to reach his potential, I would start ramping up his feed, adding a half a pound a feeding every 2 or 3 days until hes eating between 22 to 24 pounds a day. I would rather have to slow one down or hold him then be pushing him at the end and not get him where he needs to be.
We have found that forage hay really helps give them the full gut look, they tend to like it as well.
We have had several steers drop their flank as they reach maturity, seems like as their frame stops growing and they start packing on the weight the flank lowers.

As far as your steer goes, I do not thank his flank is all that high, but he is a tick tight in the heart, not to bad, these are the steers you usually need to push to get them to gain the weight you need.
With his coloring you really need to start rinsing him every day and washing him once a week, and concentrate on his white to keep it looking fresh.
Get a good soap with a whitener to work on his white and try and keep him out of the mud the best you can. He could have a really fancy look if you put in the work.
Good luck with him and have fun.

PaFFA Proud

Yes showsteernc, were feeding a orchard grass hay. This ton we got has a little alfalfa mixed in it. Compared to the market steers in the past at our county fair I think he will place well in his class. Im soon going to start him on the Honor Show Chow Finishing Touch Feed within 2 weeks my order comes in, and hopefully the extra fat will put the pounds on him. As for the washing, I try to wash him once a week and rinse everyday,  except when its really cold and windy, but I am waiting on my blower to come in so I dont freeze him to death...lol we been drying him off with towels. But I at least brush him and put revive on him on days Im not washing or rinsing him.

vc

If you have fans use those as you brush him to help dry him out, until you get your blower. With out a blower it can be a real pain.

fed_champions

His heartgirth should be fine, and so will his flank. These are very nitpicky opinions, epecially on  steer as nice as yours. I have been around a lot of very good cattle and this one,going to a county fair in Pennsylvania, should have no problems. He is a great deal better than the one that used to be in u profile pic. Good job an good luck to you.

PaFFA Proud

Lol I would try the leaf blower idea if we had one...but we live in a treeless open field. And thanks fed champs..our county fair isnt much competition..and there is only 2 others I think will be true competition agianst mine:)

RSC

PaFFA Proud said:
Lol I would try the leaf blower idea if we had one...but we live in a treeless open field. And thanks fed champs..our county fair isnt much competition..and there is only 2 others I think will be true competition agianst mine:)
Nice steer, when I was younger Dad always like to step them on full feed so that we didn't have to hold them in the end.  With all the advancements we have in nutrition for show animals now, it's easier to hold one than it is to catch one up if you're behind the game.  You might consider feeding him a little harder now.  Another thing I would suggest is get started on trimming feet as soon as you can.  Judges today as they should be, seem to be more critical of feet and legs than they used to.  The earlier you get started the better.

Good luck and let us know how he progresses.

Tony

PaFFA Proud

I think once I get the FInishing Touch feed Im going to start pushing him, however in the past I had a case of acidosis with my dairy steer with feeding too much. So I am a lil weary of pushing feed, but I am going to do is slow and steady. His feet are getting done in like 2 weeks.

fordkindagirl

PaFFA Proud said:
I think once I get the FInishing Touch feed Im going to start pushing him, however in the past I had a case of acidosis with my dairy steer with feeding too much. So I am a lil weary of pushing feed, but I am going to do is slow and steady. His feet are getting done in like 2 weeks.
Baking soda sprinkled on their feed helps balance the Ph in their stomach and prevent acidosis.

PaFFA Proud

fordkindagirl said:
PaFFA Proud said:
Baking soda sprinkled on their feed helps balance the Ph in their stomach and prevent acidosis.

Thanks Ill try that