Advice and thoughts on Show Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

RuffoniSistersCattle

Hello SteerPlanet! I would love some helpful advice and opinions between these to calves. Deciding which Calf would be better for daughters county fair. Fair is in late July. Both calves have great things to offer yet but we would love some thoughts to see if anyone else notices any major flaws or diferences that would make one calf a better choice. Of course i always say " You wont know what you have or will place until you leave the showring with a ribbon in your back pocket" sometimes we can see an insight on a calf that will help see its potential. Fair is a SICK - no hair fair yet we will be jackpotting throughout the year.
We do not own either of these calfs nor bred them, we are just looking for opinions and thoughts on both to help decide which to purchase.

Attachments

• Jimmy-the-Greek-Steer-big.jpg
    Jimmy-the-Greek-Steer-big.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 283

marku

for me, i like the second one.  softer made, deeper body, seems a litthe thicker made.

leanbeef

I think this could be a dangerous little game to play because pictures can be very deceiving. What these calves ARE and what they appear to be in one picture may not be exactly the same thing. That said, I see the white calf as very growthy and heavy muscled. I question his frame size from a standpoint of, is he going to get too big to be competitive. He's attractive and I admire the fact that he looks like a high performance steer, but I wonder if he may be late maturing, and I would sure study how much chest floor he has and the construction of that hip...he looks like he could be a tick round. If his hip is round or short and his pins are low, I would really study the angles of his shoulder, the flex in his hock and the steepness of his pasterns. Those kind of cattle can sometimes get a little straight, and that isn't usually as easy to see in calves as in older cattle.

The red spotted steer is pretty. He appears smaller framed, softer made and easy doing. The one thing I question in this picture of him on the move is how he handles his top as he gets around. Does he tend to roach his top a little? Or is that just the picture? He's definitely flashy and eye appealing, and if he has plenty of muscle and he's sound enough, then he may be the one.

Good luck!

Bradenh

second calf, the first is too hard feeding by his looks, not enough flank and eye appeal, for the slick deal the shorter stouter one is more likely to feed out and be sucessful