Advice on bull to flush our donor to

Help Support Steer Planet:

kndcattle

Here us one of our donors we plan to flush this fall. She is a registered shorthorn and we are looking for a clubby bull to make show steers. Needs a bull to downsize calves frame Score and i always focus on strucure as well. Here also is her last steer by paddy o malley.  First pic is the donor. Second is paddy calf three months old and last is him at seven months old. Also I was wanting to stay off the band wagon and not use monopoly. If the mating goes well we hope to get a promo bull or herd bull possibly. Questions and advice are welcome. 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 224

sizzler14

Just curious as why you dont want to consider Monopoly? If she were mine and I was flushing her, I would do a mixed flush of walks alone and smilin bob

kndcattle

Sizzler14 said:
Just curious as why you dont want to consider Monopoly? If she were mine and I was flushing her, I would do a mixed flush of walks alone and smilin bob

She is th free. And I don't want to use monopoly for two reasons.  I dont want to pay for the expensive original semen. Also if we get a great bull prospect I want something diffetent. The market is flooded with too many bulls going back to the same genetics. Looking for an out cross show prospect to be different and to build our program on.

trevorgreycattleco

kndcattle said:
Sizzler14 said:

She is th free. And I don't want to use monopoly for two reasons.  I dont want to pay for the expensive original semen. Also if we get a great bull prospect I want something diffetent. The market is flooded with too many bulls going back to the same genetics. Looking for an out cross show prospect to be different and to build our program on.

Good for you. Beat your own path.

frostback

Might look into some of the Char half bloods in Texas. No TH or Heatwave genetics. Just make sure his calves are deep and easy keepers. She could use some softness.

frostback

I was afraid you were going to ask that and not be able to help me. Wasn't there some Chunky Monkeys sons(Copper Penny maybe), or maybe something by Chris Blacks that would be clean and a bit different. I cant think of any names right off the top of my head but thought for sure there were some down there that might work.

Bulldaddy

If you are  serious about something different, you should consider Lovin The Business. He is a TH free son of Yellow Jacket that is siring some stout calves with color.

Bradenh

Would that yellow jacket end up biting you in the ass on body capacity when matched with a female like the one pictured who can use some softening up?

I agree he's a good bull but I don't know if he would work on something like her

Now solid gold isn't different by the standards listed- but above the red river he's still off the radar

And that dude will do some work on a shorthorn

For a free bull that wil throw you the markings- what about born free? Red one of horns

afhm

Why not try Starburst?  You could get some shorthorn steers and still have registered heifers if your cow is registered.  He will downsize like you are wanting.  I think he could give the the best of both worlds, clubby looking/made yet still be purebred.

rackranch

I had good luck using Walks Alone on larger framed registered Shorthorns.  Used him again, and if they look as good the second time I will flush to him.  Down sized, freakey fronted, powered up, and as correct as you will find in the barn.

IMO WA works best on full blood cattle such as Shorties or Angus

Heres a calve pic of one..

Attachments

• butch@ 60 days.jpg
    butch@ 60 days.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 206

frostback

Show stopper 95 said:
Would that yellow jacket end up biting you in the ass on body capacity when matched with a female like the one pictured who can use some softening up?

I agree he's a good bull but I don't know if he would work on something like her

Now solid gold isn't different by the standards listed- but above the red river he's still off the radar

For a free bull that wil throw you the markings- what about born free? Red one of horns

Is that a name of a bull? Anymore info as in pedigree? Calf photos?

frostback

What about going Hereford on her? I loved Cyrus when he was at Denver. Anyone seen any calves by him? Call Raymond Gonnett and talk to him about the bull. He will tell you if he may work. He was very honest when I asked him about bulls this year and knew how they were working and on what. Didn't just say "yup he will do that" and sell me semen. He actually listened to what I want and saw the cow and made other suggestions if he didn't have what I needed. He even suggested a competitors bull in one instance.
http://www.trauschfarms.com/sires/TFR-Cyrus225ET.html

obie105

frostback said:
What about going Hereford on her? I loved Cyrus when he was at Denver. Anyone seen any calves by him? Call Raymond Gonnett and talk to him about the bull. He will tell you if he may work. He was very honest when I asked him about bulls this year and knew how they were working and on what. Didn't just say "yup he will do that" and sell me semen. He actually listened to what I want and saw the cow and made other suggestions if he didn't have what I needed. He even suggested a competitors bull in one instance.
http://www.trauschfarms.com/sires/TFR-Cyrus225ET.html
Cyrus is dead and I know the semen went up on him. I used him a few years ago and had a nice set of calves out of him tho. Used the last of my straws this year and hope for the same results. He adds stoutness and bone.

Bradenh

frostback said:
Show stopper 95 said:

Is that a name of a bull? Anymore info as in pedigree? Calf photos?

http://www.bovine-elite.com/clubepd2.asp?idProduct=4419