Advice on buying a good heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rock*River

Looking to buy a pretty good heifer for my daughter.  She has been working very hard for a ten year old, and I want next year's project to be a bit more competitive at some of the preview shows.  If we are going to spend the time and money, it would be nice to win a class every now and then.  However, I don't want to be unrealistic and my checkbook isn't that big.

I am looking for advice on buying the right calf for her.  How much should it take to buy a good, solid, sound calf that can compete?  By the way, we are relatively open to breeds or types of crossbreds.  Further, I would plan on keeping the heifer to add to our own growing herd.

Thanks!

savaged

If you want a future cow it will really impact your approach IMO.  Look genetics first, and if it were me I would go with a breed or high percentage calf.  if you are looking to breed for club calves yourself with her, then I would look for a Simmental or Simmy cross.  Then shop by structure/ confirmation and temperament   If you can find a sound one with above average muscle and bone, good disposition, and for a bonus a little hair then that's the one I would want.  Then of course, you hope she is in your price range.  Take someone knowledgeable with you.

As far as competing, that all depends on what shows you are talking about.   One show's class winner is another show's mid class calf.  I'd be more interested in finding that nice future cow that you can afford and then show her proudly.  If you pick well, AND work hard on the daily care and fitting, then she will also compete to your satisfaction.  Any your daughter will have her own cow to love for many years.  

The calf in my avatar is a great example.  She is a Dream On pure bred Simmental.  Won a class and show, and did not win classes in others.  She will make my daughter a great cow.  We are getting ready to breed her, and to boot she is tame as a puppy.  My daughter loves her.

Good Luck!

shortyjock89

I would talk to an experienced breeder or a family that has success with heifers in your area that show a breed that you're not interested in...just so you won't have to show against the folks that are helping you. They should know some places to start looking for calves that meet what you want to do, and a lot of breeders that I know are usually very happy to help a family get going.

We've spent as little as $400 on a heifer that won a few classes, and as much as 5k on a heifer that did nothing but get 2nd all the way from our county show to state fair.

Rock*River

Thanks to all.  We live in Ohio and would like to be somewhat competitive, at least in the class level, in the BEST show program.  Any recommendations for Ohio Breeders would be greatly appreciated.

savaged

Rock*River said:
Thanks to all.  We live in Ohio and would like to be somewhat competitive, at least in the class level, in the BEST show program.  Any recommendations for Ohio Breeders would be greatly appreciated.

Even a better reason to go Simmental (or Hereford, Charolais) .  If you want to win classes at BEST shows with cross-bred or other breeds get out the wallet  ;)

Show Steaks

I would say go with something that first off is quiet and will be a great cow, she'll always be around and your daughter could even show calves out of her very own cow!! (thumbsup)
I would probablly go simmental, somethin with all the right parts..... look around labor day weekend at signs along the road, the farm may not be listed on the internet but they still may have a little"treasure" hiding at there farm that never got advertised selling for much cheaper than she would at some other big name place

simtal

Get something that is sound and is gentle. Cannot stress these two factors enough.  Also, I would wait till late fall till to buy.  Buying young heifers is the biggest risk in the show cattle business, IMO.

herefordfootball

There are a lot of sale/shows. Denver, NAILE, FT. Worth( I think), American Royal, Hoosier Beef Congress(Indiana), Michigan Beef Expo(Lansing,MI),Ohio Beef Expo, and others. You can buy quality, sound heifers here, that are broke to lead, registered if you buy in a breed sale. There are usually some really good deals at a couple of those sales especially the Michigan Beef Expo and Hoosier Beef congress. Kentucky Beef Expo also has breed sales. You can buy the champions or res.'s from the sale show and its usually a pretty nice animal for cheap. Also these sales are later in the year so you have less in feed costs than if you buy one in the summer/early fall. This is really the way to go.

Edit: Prices ranges greatly depending on what sale you go to, along with the quality. Your best quality sale animals are going to come out of the National Western Stock Show(Denver), North American International Livestock Expo(NAILE, located in Louisville, KY) American Royal(Kansas City) and Ohio Beef Expo. At sales like the Hoosier Beef Congress(Indianapolis,IN), Michigan Beef Expo(Lansing,MI) and Kentucky Beef Expo you can  expect the animals to bring anywhere from $750 all the way up to $8,000. So you can probaly get the quality you're wanting at one of those sales, you'll see better deals at these sale/shows than you probaly will at Denver,NAILE or Ohio Beef Expo.

forcheyhawk

The best advice that I can give is to research, research, research.  If your choice is to go the breed route, figure out which breed and go through breeders herds before the sale season.  Make your list of calves and rank them.  You may need to go back more than once to compare calves between breeders.  After getting everything ranked, then figure a price you are willing to pay for each ranked calf on your list.  It's always helpful if your list and the sale lineup fall into place but that rarely happens.  We missed out on a great deal this year waiting for another calf to sale and missed on that one because it was out of our range.  Anyhow, the most important thing you can do is to research and stick to your plan (the rankings and $$$).  We've had a few get out of price range and had to move on.  If you have patience, you will end up with a great calf.  Also because you assigned $$$ to what you were willing to give and you had patience, the calf will be in your price range.  Best of luck to picking out a great one!!!  <beer>

Jill

Rock*River said:

If you are looking to be competitive in the BEST program I would guess you are looking at around a 2500 price range if you know what you are looking for, you can luck out and find deals if you are willing to spend enourmous amounts of time driving around and looking for calves, but for most of us that's just not economical. 
OH Breeders doesn't have anyone showing if I remember right and I'm sure would be more than happy to direct you and may even be able to help you out. 

forcheyhawk

you can luck out and find deals if you are willing to spend enourmous amounts of time driving around and looking for calves, but for most of us that's just not economical.

I don't see anything lucky about researching and finding a deal.  In fact, I'd say it's work.  Just trying to put some advice out there for those of us that don't have unlimited supplies of money.  Most great calves trade hands several times before they end up in <Insert Big Time Steer Jock Here>'s hands.  If you get in on the 1st trade, you can find some value.  You really have to put the time in though.  There's no alternative.  You can talk to this guy and that guy and guess what every single one of them wants a cut.

Show Heifer

1. Decide on what breed you want to build a herd around.
2. Research the bloodlines in that breed.
3. Research the breeders in that breed.
4. Narrow down to 3 farms.
5. Select the best heifer you can afford that has the best cow family behind them.

Select a heifer that has solid bloodlines, and that is in a cow/calf PROGRAM. Meaning, save yourself a bunch of money and possible heartache, and buy from the person who RAISED the calf, and not a show jock middleman.  Many breeding programs welcome visitors and are more than happy to show you 3-5 generations of cow families.

Don't be afraid of a heifer that you really like, that is backed by a great pedigree and is bred by a great breeder that isn't high priced.  A price tag isn't an indication of quality. REPEAT: A price tag isn't an indication of quality.
Also do not be afraid of a heifer that is not bred and owned by a "little breeder". In fact, I would encourage you to investigate the"up and coming"  breeders and not the "resting on the past" breeders. Many times great cattle are to be found without a huge price tag and ego!

Good luck!

bcosu

find a heifer with papers and best bet still is to find a younger one. try and stay out of the january february class and the march april class for sure. maines, chis and shorthorns are the toughest of the breeds normally in the best shows. if you can get a nice made crossbred thats younger then you can possibly compete in the first crossbred class or so.

Telos

Everyone's advice is right on. Just do as much home work and ask as many questions as you can before you invest.  Steer Planet folks are very knowledgeable and can be very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Your investment is only as good as the genetics.

Jill

forcheyhawk said:
you can luck out and find deals if you are willing to spend enourmous amounts of time driving around and looking for calves, but for most of us that's just not economical.

I don't see anything lucky about researching and finding a deal.  In fact, I'd say it's work.  Just trying to put some advice out there for those of us that don't have unlimited supplies of money.  Most great calves trade hands several times before they end up in <Insert Big Time Steer Jock Here>'s hands.  If you get in on the 1st trade, you can find some value.  You really have to put the time in though.  There's no alternative.  You can talk to this guy and that guy and guess what every single one of them wants a cut.

I'm not saying it isn't hard work, we spent several years running around and looking at calves and you can end up with as much tied up in fuel and mileage as you could of by just going to someone that you trust that has the knowledge to direct you to 1 or 2 places where you can find what you are looking for.
I am by no means saying that price is any indication of quality, I am putting a dollar figure out there because normally there is a general price range better calves are priced in from most breeders, you can find a good one for 400 dollars, but I can guarantee you that ain't going to happen very often.  I am certainly not advocating purchasing from a middle man, we have never bought one that way in all the years we have done this, however, they do have their place and there are folks that are just more comfortable going that route and that's ok too.  My advice is just be realistic in what you are looking for and you'll be fine.

AAOK

My first piece of advice is, don't buy a Show Calf at a Sale.  You can buy twice the quality at half the price if you deal directly with the breeder.  Find someone you trust who has bred and sold winners, but no longer has kids of their own showing.

Secondly, be prepared to triple or quadruple the time you think you'll need to work with said calf if you plan to win.  I'm a firm believer that a 2nd/3rd place calf which has been SUPERIORLY fed, fit, groomed and exhibited can win classes, breeds and even Championships.  Anyone who has been at this business long enough will agree.........and, I'll agree that knowing the Judges helps.  Now, I'm not talking about partnering with cattle, or any form of buying off a Judge.  I'm referring to the Judges witnessing superior showmanship over and over by an exhibitor.

I agree with Jill. $2000 - $3000 can buy a State or even National Champion, but you might have to look at hundreds of calves.  I'll also suggest that you'll have a better chance looking out of State, no matter where you live.  All breeders have a desire to sale a great calf out of their own area; out of State, even better. 

Place it in Gods hands, and let Him run the Show.  You be winners every day!

cowboybecoachin

I would agree on the info posted by show heifer. I disagree with the above post that you should avoid certain breeds because they are tough. The top end of ALL breeds is very tough at the "major".
I would start by deciding the breed  you wish to show. Find those that breed your choice, call them and go see what they have if they are in your price-range.
Know how much you are willing to spend.
Research the breed charactisics and bloodlines.
If you do not feel confident in your ability to pick a good calf, get a professional you trust (like a good ag teacher, county agent, someone you trust that has been in the "show business" for many years) and let them assist in your selection.
Be in love with the calf you buy, or do not buy it! 
Ask about service after the sale. We offer scholarship opportunities, free breeding  when appropriate, and fitting and halter-breaking services. We also help our new customers to get involved in Texas Jr. Angus events and scholarship opportunities.
Good Luck!

thunderdownunder

<party>Jump on a plane Down Under, and I'll make sure you have a darn good heifer to take home with you... at a very reasonable price of course!!  ;) ;D