Advice on Fluid located on the inner hock

Help Support Steer Planet:

STX108

The pocket is soft, rather large and does have fluid yet it does not affect the animal's tracking....any suggestions?

SlickTxMaine

My son's steer had this....developed right before our show (of course).  Our vet gave us predef to give him orally, but we didn't see any improvement.  At the show, he was walking stiff, and the Judge docked him for this.  Does anyone know what causes this??  Good luck...sorry I could not help.

inthebarnagain

It happens a lot in cattle with really straight back legs.  Basically the ligaments that are supposed to be on the outside of the hock roll to the inside because the hock is so straight there is nothing to stop it.  Draining it won't help and there isn't anything to do to make it go back. 

ADG

Just our experience:

The more exerciese, the less swelling.  It was always worse after coming out of the barn and laying around all day.  We also would give dex the morning of the show, but the best remedy was exercise.  This steers hocks were soft, we could never get any fluid out of them.

STX108

Steer is structurally sound. His hocks are not straight at all, however, their is a fluid accumulation....He tracks out well.

Dusty

STX108 said:
Steer is structurally sound. His hocks are not straight at all, however, their is a fluid accumulation....He tracks out well.

Just drain it when you are fitting him for show. 

angus showman

I showed a heifer a few years ago that developed fluid on the outside of her hock rather large like twice the size of the other side. I had the vet out and he said there was nothing to do if you drain it. it will go away for awhile but just come back the same or worse. I talked to some people about it and there is a product called DMSO I got it at farm and fleet and make sure you use gloves or wash hands right after you put it on or your hands will smell for a long time like onions or BO.I usually would rub it on the fluid pocket two or three times a day. also got some vet liniment gel and rub that on sometimes it seemed to num the area and it took the fluid right down after some time. The vet was out later in the year for health papers on the heifer and could not believe it wondered what I did for future reference. The vet has been in business for 30+ years. Also maybe a shot of selenium this helps joints she could be lacking. We give shots of this to baby calves once in awhile they are deficient and if ones alittle straight it helps.