Afsl sin city bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

Profile of A&T Captain Obvious, age 7.
  You might check and see if Ralph Larson's "Easy" bull is available, Matlocks sold a couple of females bred to him last fall, I assume canadian semen is available?

Attachments

• captain2013_profileJune1shrunk.jpg
    captain2013_profileJune1shrunk.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 186

justintime

I forgot about Ralph Larsen's Coalpit Creek Leader 6th ( Easy). He is an excellent choice for use on heifers and Ralph has semen stored in Canada at Alta Genetics. I am implanting a bunch of Easy embryos this week.  Excellent choice for use on heifers... and a very good bull to boot!

justintime

-XBAR- said:
ctroidl said:
Have you used Cappiche at all?

In my short tenure, I have concluded the breed suffers from a intervention problem and not a bw or ce problem.  How these cattle are fed (or not fed) will dictate the types of bw you get.  You don't see 100lb bws out of cows on stockpiled grass and 10% hay.  Atleast not around here.

This is getting a bit off topic here, but I will only comment that I tend to agree with xbar in regards to this birth weight and calving ease issue. I hardly ever have to assist a mature cow calve unless it is a malpresentation ... and that doesn't happen very often around here. I try to use Shorthorn bulls on my heifers that will allow the majority of them to calve by themselves. I find that as I get older, I really hate to have to take my winter coat off to help anything calve... haha! And I also think there are lots and lots of pretty decent choices of sires suitable to use on heifers.
My cows winter on hay along with salt and mineral. I try to make them walk some during the winter. I was concerned this last winter, as our cows could not get out and walk like I normally want them to, because of the amount of snow we had and the weeks of unending wind that we had through February to April. Our BWs were somewhat higher this year over last year but I still only had 4 calves over 100 lbs and 2 of these were heifers. One of the other 2 got a band put on him as he was 112 lbs, and the other bull calf at 108 lbs died from viral pneumonia, so I don't have to worry about him any more.

jaimiediamond

Some of the bulls mentioned have been previously mentioned on another thread :)

My top two choices for options available to Canadians:

Diamond Prophecy 21P
21P consistently produces light birth weight calves with his natural easy fleshing ability.  An added bonus is Prophecy offers calving ease without compromising performance.  Prophecy is in the top 1% of the breed for calving ease with a 7.9 and his BW EPD -3.7 is also in the top 1%.  We have retained most of his daughters in our herd and they have high maternal calving ease, and excellent milk.  Most of my program has high Prophecy influence and my top yearlings, two-year olds, and three-year olds are Prophecy daughters.  Prophecy left our program this spring at 9 years of age and is now has seen service at Y Lazy Y Shorthorns in Missoula Montana.  My youtube channel has a large number of videos of Prophecy 21P offspring as well as Prophecy 21P at 7 and 9 years.  In this post I have Prophecy videoed at 9 just before leaving for Montana.  Diamond Prophecy 21P at 9 years old
prophecy3.jpg
Prophecy 21P at 8 years
may20y.jpg
heifer calf
zircon19z.jpg
10 month old son
prophecyp1.jpg
yearling heifer
xcandy25x.jpg
2 year old daughter
prophecyp3.jpg
5 year old daughter

I had the opportunity to see the Coalpit Creek Leader 6th bull of Ralph's as well of some offspring, we actually acquired a son of him and we couldn't be happier.  The Leader bull has a huge amount of natural depth and breed character.  I was especially impressed with his daughters and their beautiful udders. Y lazy Y Shorthorns note on their website that they call him "Easy" for his easy fleshing ability, easy going disposition, and for the calving ease demonstrated this winter.  Easy surely will be noted in years to come as a bull that proved that Shorthorns are commercially acceptable.  He is also in the top 1% of the breed for both CE with 10.9 and BW with -3.8

ReVJnK9PTX4

Attachments

• Diamond Prophecy 21P 9 years.jpg
    Diamond Prophecy 21P 9 years.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 153

uluru

Uluru Buster 6T
All his calves born unassisted this past spring. Semen in Canada and the US

Attachments

• Uluru Buster 6T mature 2011.jpg
    Uluru Buster 6T mature 2011.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 214

ctroidl

hntwhitetail said:
What about FSF hardline?  1/2 maine 1/2 shorty
Is he available in Canada?
He definitely fits what I am looking for, I want the bull to still carry a fair amount of shorthorn and one that is easy calving. I'm sure most of the bulls mentioned here are very good calving but I don't know how many of them would breed offspring that could compete in the show ring.
Although the number one priority is to get every calf on the ground.

carl

People are always on here asking what Shorthorn bulls are safe to use on heifers. How much demand would there  be for semen if you had a solid red, polled Shorthorn bull who was proven for calving ease and whose calves were moderate framed (5-6) and very thick?

RyanChandler

Depends on what type of ww can be gotten out of him, Dale. Lots of bulls meet the criteria you've set forth; few have the performance demanded though.

garybob

carl said:
People are always on here asking what Shorthorn bulls are safe to use on heifers. How much demand would there  be for semen if you had a solid red, polled Shorthorn bull who was proven for calving ease and whose calves were moderate framed (5-6) and very thick?
Have any mature photos of this hypothetical sire? Progeny, too? Serious Inquiry.

GB