Help Support Steer Planet:

hj.380

I recently bought a steer, born Sept. 30th of 2016. We got to thinking though, about possible rules about the age that they have to be to hit the show circuit. We would love to show him in the 2017 year in Kentucky. Is there a rule against this?

DLD

Since no one from Kentucky has answered your question, I'll give it a try. 

It probably depends on what time of year your county and state fairs are, and what their weight limits are. Most steer shows don't have any specific age rules these days, weight is what matters. Most calves that age are going to finish out at around 18 months, so your calf is probably ideal to show as a market steer in the spring of 2018.  If he's big, you might be able to get him to market size by fall of 2017 (when he's around a year old), but if your target shows are market shows in the summer of '17, he probably won't meet minimum weight requirements for a market, but could show as a prospect or feeder if they offer that division.  If your shows are in the summer and he's not too big you might be able to hold him over for summer of '18. 

stithka

Kentucky shows are generally geared for
Spring born calves. Most county fairs are
Summer shows and the state fair is the third week of August.  The fall
Calf will be too small this summer and likely too big to hold over until summer of 2018

LLBUX

He might make a nice lightweight steer for your summer
shows and if good enough,  go to Texas for their winter majors.

DLD

Texas nominates (well, in TX it's validates) in June, so that's going to be tough.  Here in OK we nominate in late October, so that might work.  I know some of the southeastern states have spring shows, though I don't know when their nominations are.

Bradenh

Tx market shows are all in state exclusive shows

He's born right to show down here though I don't know about Kentucky