Aggressive bull calf please help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Annieboon

Hi all I have a 9 month old cracking bull calf that I am breaking in at the moment and he is quite aggressive  :(

Could you please help me and give me tips on how I would get this out of him?

Thanks heaps!!!'

Annieboon

Hi no I haven't put ring in yet, I think it is aggressive when I push him up with the rest of the Bulls he always spins around and lines me up and runs at me.

Thanks I will put a ring on him

idalee

You are in real physical danger.    Do not risk your life with this animal!  Start over with another

kiblercattle

Life is to short why mess with him. No animal is good enough to put up with the danger of him hurting you or more importantly someone else.

JLA

IF you are "pushing him up" with other bulls into a confined space (small pen or trailer) and he is the least dominant he naturally won't want to go in last. He needs to be penned or loaded before the dominant animal(s).

cflem

If he is aggressive enough to hunt you,
Do yourself and anyone you might sell him to a favor and castrate him and eliminate the possibility of propagating his genetics. Disposition is heritable and you will be better off not selling him to someone as a breeding bull. I have seen breeds and breeders come and go because of the disposition of the cattle. There were 3 or 4 Salers breeders in our area at one time and you can't find any now because there bull customers got tired of the dispositions of the breed. Give it serious thought if you are considering leaving him intact.

vc

First how long have you been working him and is out with the other bulls when you're not working him? Not sure how you manage your show calves down there or how old they are when you start, we tend to start our show calves earlier. Along with the nose ring I would pull him in and pen him up away from the other bulls, try and put an animal who is used to being handled with him and feed and water him in the pen. After a few days of getting used to the pen tie him with his head up for a few hours each day. If he continues to act up turn him out and pick another project, getting hurt or even worse is not worth a ribbon.

Annieboon

I have been working with him for almost a week know he gets turned out with the other Bulls. I put a nose clip in him yesterday and that seemed to calm him way down so I think the nose ring us the way to go.

Thanks heaps for all you advice have taken it on board. (thumbsup)

Latest posts