Agribition RBC Supreme Qualified!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowpoke

Every picture gets better as the real maternal and excellent care shows.Having had the opportunity to judge many shows I think my favorite is the cow/calf division especially if they were shown the year before as a heifer.No matter how much experience milking and optimum breeding traits are easier to get right in animals in production.I have seen what looked like an ideal cow type be sale barn bound after one calf or worse yet never breed.I believe the first calf even if bred to an easy calving bull should be herd average + or you are not making progress.The club calf world has a different philosophy in that is all about phenotype and presentation and hopefully some education and family bonds.

cowboy_nyk

Thanks for the kind words cowpoke.  This cow specifically was shown as a yearling heifer but has been a pasture cow for the past 6 years, raising me high sellers almost every year (now I wish I would have kept more of her progeny!). I decided this summer that she was going to be part of my show string and the rest as they say, is history.

I have dabbled in the club calf thing a bit and I find the biggest disappointment to me as a purebred breeder is the lack of focus on maternal function and long term vision.  I have a pretty good clubby heifer that is set to calve this spring and I have no idea if she'll be any good as a cow.  That bothers me a bit.