AI Guy Shoots 93%

Help Support Steer Planet:

farwest

Cattle Fan said:
Zach

Just a question on your Sync Protocall.  You said that you pulled Cidrs on Wednesday.  Does that mean you left them in for 3 days or you waited until the next week and left them in 10 days?  Just wondering as the protocalls we have allways used say leave in for at least 7 days.  Sounds like you had great luck however you did it.

Our Protocall
Wednesday Eve Cidrs In GNRH
Following Wednesday Eve Cidrs out Lutalyce
Breed by heat detection
We usually sync about 40 cows and will breed 3-4 on Friday evening 20 to 25 on Sat morn and eve 5-6 on Sun morn and Eve and then we wil have a couple late responders that we will not see heat on them until Mon-Wed and will breed them then.  Usually average between 80-85% on conception
Was in at vet looking at different programs of syncin today in the select sires catalog.  Never saw leave cidr in 3 or 10 myself.  new one on me.....

CAB

Zach, how many days post breeding are you looking @? Please follow up next spring for us. Congrats on a great job!! Brent C.

TMJ Show Cattle

Carrie took a class over 20 years ago.  She says the class didn't teach her much...it is the several THOUSAND cows she has bred over the last 7-8 years that has given her the experience.  The classes do give her good reminders of things to watch such as good semen handling techniques, slowing down on the deposit of semen, and so on.  The little things that can take a percentage up a notch.

OqRanch

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Carrie took a class over 20 years ago.  She says the class didn't teach her much...it is the several THOUSAND cows she has bred over the last 7-8 years that has given her the experience.  The classes do give her good reminders of things to watch such as good semen handling techniques, slowing down on the deposit of semen, and so on.  The little things that can take a percentage up a notch.
Thanks!  My husband & I have been tossing around the idea of me taking some classes.  I'd like to get with someone in our area & watch also.

frostback

Just jump in and take a class. Watching does not show you much except the semen handling and gun loading techniques. You need to take a class where they get the female tract from a slaughter house and you can see what you are doing the first few times. I had tried a few times before the class and could not understand what I was looking for in there(the cervix) until I saw one. Then it clicked. I was 4-5 months pregnant with my son when I went so no excuses as to not being able to go. When the teacher figured out I was pregnant he joked about me having to pay extra for sneaking in another. Frostie

goose

I have not seen a three day CIDR synch protocol but I did use the "new" 5 day CIDR program.  Give a shot of GnRH and put the CIDR in, pull the CIDR 5 days later and give a shot of prostaglandin.  Eight to 12 hours later give another shot of prostaglandin then breed 72 hours after pulling the CIDR and give a shot of GnRH.  It is an extra handling time but boy did it make those cows HOT.  I think we had 25 or so in heat the day before breeding and there were so many in heat the day we bred I lost track.  That would really be something if we could get that 93% preg rate out of it.  I already told dad I have a trip to the Bahama's planned the 2 of March, that would be 93 calves "due" that day.  Plus the heifers will be calving.  Oh that sounds fun in northern south dakota doesn't it?

ROMAX

goose said:
I have not seen a three day CIDR synch protocol but I did use the "new" 5 day CIDR program.  Give a shot of GnRH and put the CIDR in, pull the CIDR 5 days later and give a shot of prostaglandin.  Eight to 12 hours later give another shot of prostaglandin then breed 72 hours after pulling the CIDR and give a shot of GnRH.  It is an extra handling time but boy did it make those cows HOT.  I think we had 25 or so in heat the day before breeding and there were so many in heat the day we bred I lost track.  That would really be something if we could get that 93% preg rate out of it.  I already told dad I have a trip to the Bahama's planned the 2 of March, that would be 93 calves "due" that day.  Plus the heifers will be calving.  Oh that sounds fun in northern south dakota doesn't it?
I forsee some sleepless nights in your future,althogh best to get it done and over with as quick as possible

jason

zach said:
sleep is overrated

I used to think that too, stay up all hours of the night (well I still kinda do), but would drag a$$ all the next day.  I found I usually get more work done if I get to bed somewhat reasonable.  I just been so busy, I got to find time to get on the planet, so like tonight it is 1:49 am.

goose

Being a veterinarian, sleep is not easy to come by that time of year anyways.  Fortunately for me/unfortunate for my dad, I am currently 350 miles from the herd so I am lucky.  Might be taking some vacation time for a couple of weeks though so I can come home and help.  Interestingly, I just got the bulls back into the right pasture.  they have been in for over a week with nothing to do so they are walking alot and getting into trouble and out of the pasture.  Today is three weeks from the breeding date do  they might start getting to work alittle, just not to hard I hope.