AI question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Clubcalf321

AI a cow this morning at 11. Had a heat patch on her and at 5 this evening it was wore smooth. Should I breed her again in the morning or just go with 11 this morning.

leanbeef

If you know she was standing before midnight last night, you should be good. If you bred her today based on a hunch that she may have been in and you never actually saw her in standing heat, than it sounds like you may have been early. In that case, I'd probably breed her again early tomorrow. Many cows will stand for less than 12 hours and are out of standing heat by the time you breed them; however, it's not uncommon for cows to stand for longer than 12 hours and to be standing even after they should be bred. The protocol we use is to try to inseminate as close to 12 hours after ONSET of standing heat. Using that rule, and assuming I know when they started standing, I disregard how long they stand for or when they stop standing to be mounted. Any time you breed early, you may benefit by giving 2cc of Cystorelin at breeding to encourage ovulation. 

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Clubcalf321

11 this morning was the last hour of the timed AI protocol. Sorry thought I put that in post.

cowman 52

I have always thought the drug induced heats were a little closer to ovulation than the standard " standing this morning, breed her tonight" deal. Can't prove it but have bred a lot of cows at 6 hrs or so after standing and have settled a lot of them.

leanbeef

If you time bred her yesterday and then she was in standing heat last night, I would probably breed her again this morning just to be safe. I don't do a lot of time breeding, and the only ones I have done were cows or heifers that never showed a good heat at all. I'd rather get her bred than be wishing I had bred her again when she's back in heat three weeks later.

GoWyo

Last spring we had one standing in a.m. that quit standing by noon and bred her in p.m. to walks alone.  then she was at it again standing an hour after we bred her.  Brought her back next morning and bred her to I-80.  Her calf is definitely walks alone.  We used 7-day co-synch with cidr and used gnrh at time of AI.