AI Sire Recommendation for Sunseeker Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

BABYTEX

I have a chromy Sun Seeker heifer that I am looking for some recommendations on a sire to use.  I would like to try to keep the chromy look going.  My heifer already has a lot of muscle and is very rocket fronted.  Any suggestions???

kfacres

o so many options... but very few for a crossed up heifer....  I'd sure want to stick to a purebred, calving ease bull.  I'm not much in Maines- but I think I hear where GI joe might give some color???? (angel) maybe not!  Sure don't think I'd use any smokie, or char on her... Could try some shorthorn bulls that can go calving ease-  Gizmo or others... 

I'd say your best option is just wait a year, and go angus on her- red angus if you don't want black

BCCC

Joe could give you some color, and I think Ali can give you some color. There is also Shiver, but not sure on color.

OH Breeder

My question is what direction do you want to go with the calf? Maine sires mentioned but I would go with Northern Improvement in heartbeat. Give you a fancy steer or dependable replacement female either way a saleable calf.OCC legend would give you additional thickness and depth of rib. If you want a little color Gizmo will do that and he is consistent calving ease. Above and Beyond Red Angus has been a popular choice.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Angus/Northern%20Improvement.php
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/redangus.asp?CodTouro=29AR0183
http://www.cattlevisions.com/Angus/OCC%20Legend%20616L.php

BABYTEX

For alll of you that responded I am trying to hopefully stay in the Registered All other breeds at our state fair as my Sun Seeker is a registered Chi-Maine ane we are trying to get a little more Chi influence in our Angus cattle at home. what is your best suggestion for this?  I have already been told at the MN Beef Expo that she has enough, muscle and depth of rib to handle just about any sire but I dont want to risk a loss for first time calf.  I do have a maintainer out of Ali right know and I have seen some beautiful calves but I was not that impressed with her until this last month and she is due to calf late March.  We bred her to Lookout(Angus) for first calf.  We had another Maintainer that was also bred to Lookout for first calf and we are keeping the calf for a herd bull.  Actually, if I had the opportunity I would take him to Denver but I don't believe I could get out there.  He is a beautiful calf and hit the ground running and was never sick.  Hopefully will be a great herd bull in about a year.  We will have to wait and see.  Thanks for all the responses thus far.

BCCC

BABYTEX said:
For alll of you that responded I am trying to hopefully stay in the Registered All other breeds at our state fair as my Sun Seeker is a registered Chi-Maine ane we are trying to get a little more Chi influence in our Angus cattle at home. what is your best suggestion for this?  I have already been told at the MN Beef Expo that she has enough, muscle and depth of rib to handle just about any sire but I dont want to risk a loss for first time calf.  I do have a maintainer out of Ali right know and I have seen some beautiful calves but I was not that impressed with her until this last month and she is due to calf late March.  We bred her to Lookout(Angus) for first calf.  We had another Maintainer that was also bred to Lookout for first calf and we are keeping the calf for a herd bull.  Actually, if I had the opportunity I would take him to Denver but I don't believe I could get out there.  He is a beautiful calf and hit the ground running and was never sick.  Hopefully will be a great herd bull in about a year.  We will have to wait and see.  Thanks for all the responses thus far.
every bull under the sun will give you a registerable chi calf

OH Breeder

BABYTEX said:

I have not personally used this bull but have heard great things about JSC Momentum 74T. He is 40% Chi and would definitely Up your chi base.
http://www.cattlevisions.com/Chi/Momentum.php

racekannon

Our Sunseeker hiefer MLH Sunspot Baby 90U is due to Ali this March. She is red tinted, hairy ,deep ,moderate , thick ,and dog gentle.  I have never assisted an Ali calf and have bred him to quite a few diverse heifers. The calf's barn name will be Sun Speck