AI Twins?

Help Support Steer Planet:

5VSC

Last week my uncle had a set of herford twins from the LLC Back in Time Bull. I probly bet does haapin but still i was wondering if anyone else had this happin around there and what bulls (breeds and names) they used?

lowann

We had two sets of Ground Zero twins out of a Heat Seeker cow, both sets  were fine, and flourished. This year she lost a set of Hannibal triplets.
I think AI twins happen allot.

Show Heifer

The theory is it happens more in AI sired calves due to the syncronazation of the cow. You stop her ovulation, other eggs mature, then when you start her cycle again, she ovulates more than one egg. 
AI works the same way as a natural service sire, meaning you put in way more sperm than neccessary and whatever the cow ovulates is what you'll get.

5VSC

Yea that what i just fingured out too i just got off the phone with the uncle and said he synced his cows that made the light bulb go off but it just seemed cool that hanible triplet is pretty good!

CPL

More importantly, how do the Back N Time calves look?

lowann

lowann said:
We had two sets of Ground Zero twins out of a Heat Seeker cow, both sets were fine, and flourished. This year she lost a set of Hannibal triplets.
I think AI twins happen allot.
This cow has never been "synchronized". This was all natural out of her.

5VSC

CPL said:
More importantly, how do the Back N Time calves look?

They look good except the one twin we took from him she needed the cow and she would have done better. The milk in a bottle is just milk in a bottle not enough mother in that.

Show Steaks

try finding milk based milk replacer calves look alot better , they are more natural looking and dont get that bottle calf belly as bad

nck21

We just had a set of Who Made Who twins tonight. I don't know what sex they are because they haven't gotten up and the mother is being very protective. One of them appears to be blind in one eye but I hope they get up milking soon. She was synchronized and we time bred her because she never showed signs of heat.

mdb1985

I have heard that more twins will be born from embryo transfer matings.  does anyone have experience with this?

sam1988

I have one cow that twins nearly every year.  Twinning is fairly inheiritable.

Show Heifer

This very topic is covered quite well in another post about twins.
Cliff note version: Happens more often in sync'd cows.
Although inhertiable, it is not a highly inherited trait.
Bulls have no bearing on if a cow has twins.