AI'ing and vacinating at same time

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

So we are still fairly new to AI'ing and learning more each year.  Can a person go ahead and vacinate cows / heifers at the same time you run them through to start the sync (CIDRS, etc) ? Will anything like 7 way or virashield screw things up as far as syncing?  What about worming as well?
Thanks

Mill Iron A

Don't do it, the reaction to the vaccine will suck that extra bit of energy that she needed to show a good heat and then have a positive environment for breeding. The only time a person could try it is with the 14 day that puts you out a month from breeding.

Davidsonranch

So I was planning on AI'ing in mid June or a little over 30 days from now.  Is that too close to do it now? 
Long story short is I separated the few cows the kids wanted to AI from the rest of the herd and put them in a different pasture.  Did not get them vacinated / wormed like the rest.  Now I have them about as far from corrals as I can at our place and was not going to bring them in until about time to AI.  Boy did I screw this up. 
What is the scoop on vac. after they have settled and bred for a few months.  Is that a no no on most meds?  Have never done it but wondering?

ejoe326

Talk to your vet about the timing of a schedule each year to make it easier.  I will assume you are talking about something like Vista 5 VL5 SQ.  Is there anything else you use?

Some guys swear that you have to be 60 days out for pre-breeding vaccines.  Others at least 21 days and no more than 45.

After breeding ask your vet about which killed vaccines to use.  If you have been regularly vaccinating with a modified live I know some will use it on bred cows.  Again check on the timing.  The less times through the chute, shots, etc. after breeding the better here.

What are you using to worm?  We switched last year to Long Range and that is what we are using again this year on cows and calves.  I don't know what the label says about bred cows. 

Limiman12

No way no how......    A vaccine by design produces an immune response up to and including a possible fever.....  Increased body temp will harm sperm......  Not based on cowboy knowledge, based on my schoolling about how the human body works, but a mammal is a mammal in a lot of cases, this being one of them.

ploughshare

I would not stress the cow any more than absolutely necessary at breeding time including vaccinations.

Davidsonranch

Thanks everyone. Kinda screwed up this year all based on moving the AI'ers away from rest  of herd. I will check with my vet.