ALIAS BRED HEIFER

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

Well on top of the drought, heat, and recent bad luck it just keeps coming it seems.
We did have the vet out to check the herd, on the two recent losses, but he didn't see a thing wrong.  He actually said our girls look great considering the drought and not supplement feeding much.
He assumes it must have been a bad weed and just heat stress that killed the recent heifer we lost.

Now we've got 2 Alias sired heifers... one our winning heifer from last year... both AI bred to calf late September.  They are both walking very tender footed, and seems almost like they have
arthritis or something.  The best one seems very sore, and even has a hard time getting on her feet.  This 105 degree heat ain't helping either.

Has anyone seen this in ALIAS females before?  The others seem fine so far.  We put these two in the pen with close water to try to help matters should I try to give em anything?
Vet couldn't find anything wrong with there feet and they didn't have a fever.  Thoughts?...

FMF

My only guess would be foot rot as far as something physical.... have they ever had problems walking/ do they have good structure?

Like I said my guess is foot rot.. do their hooves crack whenever they walk or have a stench?

wyatt

my alias cow was the best walking heifer ive ever showed idk but we also dont have 110 degree heat that often in Michigan

kobo_ranch

No foot rot the vet checked both of these heifers.  Nothing wrong with there feet.

The show heifer last year won breed champ Scramble heifer, she walked great but I was always a little worried.  When she got too heavy her back legs seems to toe out.

I had heard some that Alias heifers can do that.  She now just seems really sore and hard to get up on her feet.  To me her one front leg looks a little swollen but the vet didn't even say that.  I myself said that since I'd spent so much time with this girl last year.  Oh well... any others had any of this please voice in.

Jenny

sounds like founder to me

if I am not mistaken, cattle can founder if they drink too much water after being very hot and thirsty??

I think I would run them through the founder treatment...antihistamine, tummy pills, if that is what it is there will be a good response, if that is not it, won't hurt anything.

wyatt

it can also happen if they come off grass and eat to much grain and from grain to grass or stress

Simmgal

Jenny said:
sounds like founder to me

if I am not mistaken, cattle can founder if they drink too much water after being very hot and thirsty??

I think I would run them through the founder treatment...antihistamine, tummy pills, if that is what it is there will be a good response, if that is not it, won't hurt anything.

It could be founder...are you on any type of Fescue grass?

[email protected]

Its not the genetics.  I put one up tonight with same symptoms.    I feel it is fescue poisoning.  Its been a while but I have had it before.  If its not that I will  treat for anaplasmosis.    Crazy things happen in extreme long periods of extreme heat.    We need lots of prayers here in sw oklahoma.  So many cattle men are selling entire herds because lack of water and feed.  Here at our house so far we have the feed, and thank god we have a great neighbor to let us attach a hose to his well. 

FMF

If it is not foot rot then it could possibly be founder. If possible, I would bring them in a barn under some fans and just monitor them closely to see if they show any other symptoms than soreness on their feet.