Alias on PB Charolais cows? Also a question on rat tails.

Help Support Steer Planet:

I have read the search results for Alias on the forum.  Sure sounds like you need to use him on a sound cow, but if you are careful that way he does have some upside.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using him on PB Char cows?  I have 3 that I was considering using him on.

Also, can someone please explain the genetics behind rat tails?  I have seen some info on this, but would like to understand it better.  This spring I had a full blow rat tail off a PB Char cow and a 5/8 Maine bull (Full Flush in pedigree).  Not pretty!  I would like to know a little more before I breed these PB Char cows black again (or even smoky).  Something to do with a diluter gene from the black parent's side?

Thanks.

cotullaguy

Grass Rts Ranch said:
I have read the search results for Alias on the forum.  Sure sounds like you need to use him on a sound cow, but if you are careful that way he does have some upside.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using him on PB Char cows?  I have 3 that I was considering using him on.

Also, can someone please explain the genetics behind rat tails?  I have seen some info on this, but would like to understand it better.  This spring I had a full blow rat tail off a PB Char cow and a 5/8 Maine bull (Full Flush in pedigree).  Not pretty!  I would like to know a little more before I breed these PB Char cows black again (or even smoky).  Something to do with a diluter gene from the black parent's side?

Thanks.

Freddy on here will know this best...I have seen a lot of really good calves out of Monopoly on purebred charolais cows...you might consider All Aboard since Monopoly is so high now....Alias has worked best for us on Heat Wave daughters.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Heat Wave is the worst for rattails on Charolais , Carnac is good for not having  rattails ,but one of the gals on SP pointed out that Carnac has the spotter gene I think she called it ...and from my experience with Carnac have had some spotted cattle and that is not always bad ...Used Alias twice on Charolais an worked pretty good really, good correct Charolais cows help keep the structure good on both Carnac an Alias .....It sure is funny that a lot of these bulls have a place if we work at the right matings,.......The EYE Candy & Monopoly cattle sure fit on the white cows , the EC matings that I have had so far are the most consistant smoke calves with looks like excellent bone an hair ,also great dispositions.  Now  Monopoly is throwing about half smoke and the other half is a pretty cream color..also very good disposition .....Hope this helps and it is what I have observed so far ...