all time favorite shorthorn bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

Redwine Brothers Cattle said:
Thats tough. We raise purebred show calves. I would probably have to go with Sonny. But one bull always catches my eye that I would love to have all of my cows bred to, SULL Outback 8116. I love the color on him and from his picture (I have never seen this bull or a video of him) he looks like a beast, and I am also a HUGE fan of his dam, Mona Lisa 35L. Ok I have talked myself into it, i'd pick Outback as the bull to breed all my cows.

Now, are you the person that can make something like that happen?
Redwine, sorry to tell you but Outback is dead. We were a part of the syndicate that never really panned out. We just sold a bull calf to a guy in Indiana that I marketed on steerplanet. We do still have some semen left and actually just put in an embryo sired by him and by our donor Tulip Rose cow. He was a really nice looking bull when Sullivan's were showing him.

J

JTM

I don't know that I can answer this question because I honestly haven't had enough experience. I would like to think that one of the three bulls that we have right now will end up being the answer to this question. 8) I have to say that I have been impressed with the performance of my WHR Sonny daughters. I remember being in Louisville back in 2001 or 2002 when his daughters were showing. I said, oh my, this Sonny bull is going to be taking over things because of the phenotype and depth of rib. I think that pretty well happened as far as the show ring goes. I still like Sonny over Solution, Bloodstone, and Eldorado.

Attachments

• WHR Sonny.jpg
    WHR Sonny.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,236

jaimiediamond

So many amazing bulls and I am supposed to narrow it down to one? I can't do it!!!!!! So I think I will do it in 2 categories past and present champion and reserve.

My past herdsire champion is Mandalong Superflag we have calves on the ground from him that are awesome, a mature cow that is a top producer and phenotypically pleasing.... that sort of stick with (the bull was born in 1971) is highly impressive
My past herdsire reserve champion is Diamond Captain Mark 27C the cow maker, the bull maker, the meat maker.  I debated on whether he should be champion past herd sire or not for a few hours (he was also my first champion when i was all of 6 years of age I still have the belt buckle)

My current herdsire champion is Northern Legend 3N by a land slide his offspring speak for themselves
My reserve champion current herdsire is Diamond Prophecy 21P I am loving his daughters depth and easy fleshing... Needless to say if you don't believe in your own program who will?

Attachments

• superflag.jpg
    superflag.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 352
  • mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 365
  • legend.jpg
    legend.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Diamond Prophecy 21P.jpg
    Diamond Prophecy 21P.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 342

mark tenenbaum

itk said:
Here you go Mark. This picture is a few years old but she's a Voyager out of a Spider daughter.//// Didnt you flush that female(spider)-she was really nice-I remember when you dispersed-I would have bought her-but didnt have room,PS-still got Studly embryos on Slicks best cow-took her and Exclusives (FLASHES) Carrie to Transova in 1999 O0

vanridge

jaimiediamond said:
So many amazing bulls and I am supposed to narrow it down to one? I can't do it!!!!!! So I think I will do it in 2 categories past and present champion and reserve.

My past herdsire champion is Mandalong Superflag we have calves on the ground from him that are awesome, a mature cow that is a top producer and phenotypically pleasing.... that sort of stick with (the bull was born in 1971) is highly impressive
My past herdsire reserve champion is Diamond Captain Mark 27C the cow maker, the bull maker, the meat maker.  I debated on whether he should be champion past herd sire or not for a few hours (he was also my first champion when i was all of 6 years of age I still have the belt buckle)

My current herdsire champion is Northern Legend 3N by a land slide his offspring speak for themselves
My reserve champion current herdsire is Diamond Prophecy 21P I am loving his daughters depth and easy fleshing... Needless to say if you don't believe in your own program who will?

I am glad to see Northern Legend on the list, seeing as he is going to greatly influence our calf crop next year!  (clapping)  We are using a grand son of his and a son. Thoses are the only 2 bulls working our cows. Be interesting to see what he does to a group of commercial cows.

Dvrom

My all time favorite used to be sonny or bloodstone but now i would say if i could use any bull, it would probably be CF FLEX or CF SOLUTION. If only i could actualy get a hold of some semen on them.

Attachments

• CF_Flex_650.jpg
    CF_Flex_650.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 369
  • cf_solution.jpg
    cf_solution.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 384

irishshorthorns

jaimiediamond said:

Diamond Captain Marc 27C is definitely one of the most under appreciated bulls in modern times. He does so much so right. His females are absolute classics. You can mate them to any sire to create the exact type of calf you are aiming for. I am currently flushing a cow to him in Canada. It's for a new breeder who wants to breed functional cattle that he may want to show later. For me Captain Marc was an easy and obvious choice.

coyote

Saskvalley Bonanza 219M has been doing a good job for us. Pictured yesterday (9 yrs old) just hanging out waiting for some work.

Attachments

• Bonanza 036 - Copy.JPG
    Bonanza 036 - Copy.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 380

OKshorthorn

coyote said:
Saskvalley Bonanza 219M has been doing a good job for us. Pictured yesterday (9 yrs old) just hanging out waiting for some work.

We bought some semen on him 6 months ago. Planned on using him to flush a cow with, sadly she was injured when she came in heat by another cow and had to be put down at 14 years of age. I am really excited to use him, just waiting for the right cow to do it now!

Shorthorns4us

It is so hard to pick just one!

I am looking for easy doing, lbw, meat machines-- my focus is getting calves with "rail" pedigrees and experience to appeal to my feedlot market and to produce heifers that will eventually produce those rail calves too.
So I am looking at old genetics-- I am a big fan of TPS Leader 21st crossed on the new genetics to get that feedlot fit.  I know that Leader was a "black sheep" of the day and was used primarily for the show ring, but I believe there is a lot of potential there. Check the upcoming July Shorthorn Country Herd issue for my opinion of Leader.  ;)
Now, I also have to comment on Waukaru program- I have my first group of Waukaru sired calves this year-- first time I have ever bought anything from the Jordans' and I am impressed with my calves-- I got one of their bulls that is carcass focused and those little red devils running around on the grass now sure look like they will go to the feedlot this fall and go great guns!  All these calves are very consistent in their BW, structure and color-- got all solid reds.
Thanks
EF

r.n.reed

I never know whether to pick the sire of the calves or the sire of the cows he nicked with.

mark tenenbaum

afhm said:
Either Double Stuff or Double Vision or Steermaker.////-Good choices-Steermaker,Double Stuff,and Heatseeker,(hes haf Shorthorn) probably had more progeny or were related to more club calves than any other bulls in history-as far as the club calf industry goes-they changed that portion of the cattle insustry FOREVER O0

vanridge

coyote said:

(thumbsup) (thumbsup) (thumbsup)Oh WOW!!! I've seen his video and I was looking for sons from him this spring. He just gets better lookin' all the time!

uluru

Here is a Bonanza son.
85W is now my herd sire
We really liked his first calves.
All born unassisted and under 85lbs 

Attachments

• 85W March 2011 cleaned_edited-1.jpg
    85W March 2011 cleaned_edited-1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 314

feeder duck

I have two MB Steermaker and Dividend. Steermaker was hands down the thickest Shorthorn bull I have ever seen.He flat out was impressive. I have seen and fitted some of the best and he kick them all. Dividend will to this day live in my childhood memory. As a kid you look at the magazines and when you love the cattle business, the guys that run the ads are your hero. The ad with Dividend on the pond hill is burned in my memory.  He has to be in a mass majority of today's pedigrees. Dividends Impact comes in a strong third.

Jeff