almost time

Help Support Steer Planet:

lucysmom

First time heifer, took a look this morning.  She's due March 15, but the baby has dropped - she has that slab-sided look on the right.
Hips are just starting to sink a little, vulva's a little floppier than yesterday.  I'm guessing no longer than Sunday - what do all
the steer planet experts think?  <cowboy>

OH Breeder

Part Timer said:
The closer you watch the longer it will take. Good luck.

It is killer waiting. I spent an entire saturday literally in a lawn chair watching a heifer. She didn't drop an til 130AM. I really enjoyed it but she gave me some signs and had one day to go but ended up delivering on her due date. It was cold and she kept trying to find a corner to get away from the herd. We put her in the barn. I then proceeded to watch her the rest of the day.

Sounds like things are progressing with your heifer. My little's gal milk came in good one day before and then pop we had a baby. Post some pics when the baby drops. Goodluck!

lucysmom

We're trying not to bird dog her - but she's an ex show heifer, so she doesn't mind the attention much.  Keeping
it down to checking a couple times a day till it looks like there's some real action.  But it is exciting - I  love the
babies. Just ready to get the calf on the ground and see what kind of mom she'll make. And heifers never follow
the rules!

OH Breeder

lucysmom said:
We're trying not to bird dog her - but she's an ex show heifer, so she doesn't mind the attention much.  Keeping
it down to checking a couple times a day till it looks like there's some real action.  But it is exciting - I  love the
babies. Just ready to get the calf on the ground and see what kind of mom she'll make. And heifers never follow
the rules!

Its funny you say that ours was a ex show heifer too. She kept walking up to the gate and waiting for me to scratch her back. then she would talk around the pen strain a little bit and come back to me for a "back rub". the closer she got the more she stuck close to the gate. She stuck her head through several times to be scratched. After baby came she was the best little mom. We are excited to see how they progress. It was a text book delivery and she did well.