Aluminum stock trailers

Help Support Steer Planet:

savaged

I've only bought one and it was an EBY.  No trouble, pulls great, and I'll bet it's worth what I paid for it six year ago.  <cowboy>

redsimms

We were on the hunt for a new trailer last fall and ended up with a Duralite 25' aluminum trailer. Spec wise they are very comparable to a wilson stampede model. they are definatly  worth looking into, we saved alot of money. I just checked Kramers auction web site(north Battlefords sask) and they have them on for special price $16500 for 20' or $17900 for 25'.

M-n-M Cattle Company

simtal said:
I love our eby but the real rule of thumb is never buy a trailer from a company that doesnt make a pot
Complety agree our trailer in a 26 ft. Eby  and we love. My boyfreinds family has an Eby that they bought new in 92, another in 96, and then one in 06 plus a pot and they are all in good shape and never have needed that much up keep even using them EVERYDAY. Love the Eby's Hands down. And where we live we just went to the factory and custom designed ours.

petejc72

Sooners are great if you are only going to be running down the hiway, if you are going to do anything more than that EBY's ruffneck is the way to go.

Hoosier

We love our Wilson Foreman to death. Got a new 24' x 8' last year and it was the best investment we've made. Pulls like nothin's there, heavy duty and built to last.  And just to make it clear, ours is a workin trailer first and a show cattle trailer on the weekends. It's pulled plenty of HEAVY loads of feeders back from the stockyards without missin a beat. If you can afford it, a Wilson would be my first choice.

beefy

WILSON ! i got a wilson that is 12 years old and has wore out 3 pick ups going to the desert to check cows  twice a week all winter (110 mile round trip all rough gravel roads) and all i have done is repaked my bearings with grease and changed dozens of tires. not a broke weld or a light out. and when it gets washed it still pretty enough to take to town.    <cowboy> 

Hilltop

Thanks for all the input so far. I have done a lot more calling since yesterday afternoon. Have been checking into the Eby and also the Merit now.As far as the Duralite it kind of makes me worry a little as they are 700lbs lighter. Not saying that they are not Ok but does semm really light at only 3300lbs but will probably call them also though next week.

Feed Guy

Big Creek said:
What features do the Eby trailers have that make you prefer them over a Wilson? or vice versa?
When I got my first EBY, Wilson would not make the divider gate roll front to rear, only went front to the fender wells.  I only got a 2nd EBY because I wanted a bigger trailer, never even looked at anything else.  If you want a custom trailer EBY will do whatever you want, plywood roof liner, ramp, outside loading lights, etc, you name it they will put in on/in the trailer.

WRS

We love our 24' Eby.  It pulls great and the sliding gates are wonderful.  I've heard the Wilson's are heavy and therefore take more fuel to pull, but it sounds like others on this board have them and would know if that is true.

colosteers

When I bought  my 2006 wilson 24 ft., unhooked it on a scale -  weighed 4080 lbs with the spare tire and clean (never had a hoof in it).    First alum trailer ever had and love it--  really easy pullin compared to steel.  Had tie loops put in for when occasionally hauling show cattle.

I was warned about welded aluminum --  so bought the riveted wilson,  also liked the riveted merritts, but the cross gate hinge posts were so far out into the middle of the trailer on the merritt.

Just a thought -  if the trailer is just a little heavier, it might be better made,  Wilson uses stainless steel for some of the hinge bolts and hardware.    I have neighbors that have 20 yr old wilsons that they use every day and are not for sale either.

have a good one

lightnin4

We've got a 11 year old, 24 ft. 4-star that we've been really happy with.  We looked at an EBY before we bought the 4-star and thought they were pretty comparable.  The 4-Star cost a little less though.  The dealer welded tie rails on the inside and outside for us.  We also have a Sundowner horse trailer and I'm really happy with it too. 

Hilltop

My head has been spinning trying to figure out what we are doing!!!!!We have priced a 7 1/2 x 22 Eby now also.  Really like the looks of it. Does anyone have a Featherlite?? And have you had good luck and like it???

bcosu

we have a featherlite and love it. it is about the only trailer i can remember having, it's a 1994 model and we've never had a problem with it. we used to haul fats with it once a week about an 80 mile round trip only but started showing cattle and it has worked out nicely. it is a 7 x 20 and is alright when you only haul three or four show calves.

redsimms

The biggest draw back for me on the featherlites is the sliding back door. I don't like the way it slides on the inside of the trailer, cattle always seem to be leaning on it when you try to open or close it. Also if there is any manure build up it has the same effect.

shortyjock89

Hilltop said:
My head has been spinning trying to figure out what we are doing!!!!!We have priced a 7 1/2 x 22 Eby now also.  Really like the looks of it. Does anyone have a Featherlite?? And have you had good luck and like it???

Hey we have that size of Eby and it's perfect for us! We usually only show about 4 calves at a time, but we can fit quite a few cows or fat cattle in it when need be.  It's big enough for us to show off of with 3 calves and all the tack left on.

LazyGLowlines

We have a 24' Wilson and it's been great, can't tell its there when your pulling it.Got it with the mats and installed the tie rings myself.
We went with a riveted trailer after a friend pointed out that they rivet airplanes for a reason (versus welding).!!

We went back and forth on Wilson vs. Eby.  The base trailers were about the same price, but the show options (tie rails, roof vents, floating gates) were a lot more $$ on a Wilson.  I also had the benefit of an Eby factory rep that understood what we were trying to do, vs. a Wilson dealer that had no clue.  In the end, we got the Eby, and have been very happy with it.

Hilltop

redsimms said:
The biggest draw back for me on the featherlites is the sliding back door. I don't like the way it slides on the inside of the trailer, cattle always seem to be leaning on it when you try to open or close it. Also if there is any manure build up it has the same effect.
Redsimms do you have a featherlite???