Ampoules

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

Is there anyone out there who still uses ampoules?  Dairymen?

When I bought my tank, the guy told me there was some Holstein ampoules in it.  I had no idea he meant....75% FULL of the darn things!  He said estimated cost of everything in it would be over $1700.  I hate to throw them away, but I would kind of like the space.  They are useless to me, considering I don't know how to use them. 

Any leads on potential interested parties would be appreciated!
Thanks!

flyintale

I honestly haven't even checked them.  I will check them out and see what I can find. 

justintime

I still use some ampules and I have found the semen quality to be very good, even on semen collected over 40 years ago. You would have to figure out what sires you have in your tank. It could be that some may be valuable, but most likely it will be of little value. Start by finding out what you have in the tank, and find out whether any of the semen is from bulls that could be of use yet today. Then decide whether you are going to dump it or try to sell it.

cbcr

When you get a chance to check the cane code and let us know.  We have the Composite Dairy Cattle Registry and the Composite Beef Cattle Registries.  We have several connections to get the word out if some of the semen would be of any value.

We would be glad to help out if we can.

flyintale

Ok, so I have a rough idea of what some of the bulls are.  The majority of them did not have cane codes on top of the canes, unfortunately.  I could read the names on most of the amps real quick.

Grayview Farms SkyCross
Grayview Farms CrissCross (XX)
Grayview Farms SkyLine
Grayview Farms Skyboots (2008)
Spring Farms Reflection

cbcr

I only one I have found so far is the Spring Farms Reflection and he was born in 1953 still checking on the others.

cbcr

The three Gray View bulls you listed were all at Curtis Breeding Service

Gray View Skyboots born in 1965
Gray View Skyliner born in 1954
Gray View CrissCross born in 1959
Gray View SkyCross born in 1963 and is a son of the CrossCross bull

Dayroan

I would encourage you to donate these ampules of old Holstein genetics to the USDA National Animal Germplasm Program, especially if you can not find buyers.  If they accept it they will send you a shipper so that you are not responsible for the shipping. 

flyintale

I attempted some research last night.  Criss cross was an all american bull in the 1960s.  His dam and several of his daughters were also all american winners way back when. Criss cross sold for $20, 000 as a young calf.  When Gray View Farms dispersed their cattle due to their father's death,  they broke records in cattle sales.  173 head sold.  A few of the high sellers brought $25, 000-$27, 000.  The sale grossed almost $600,000.  This was,  I think,  in 1973 or 1974.

I also found someone say in a dairy forum from yrs ago say that they paid $200 for a unit of Criss cross in the 1970s. 

Just for a little dairy history :) 

Latest posts