Angus Bull help - Malsons Cobra

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Still screwing around trying to find a new heifer bull to use on some of my angus and sim/angus heifers for our commercial herd.  Has anyone used Malson's Cobra or have comments about him?
CE is +12 and BW -1.1
1pic3551.jpg

cowboy_nyk

I'm not familiar with that bull sorry.  By numbers alone, he looks ok for heifers.  Phenotypically he doesn't appear to look like a typical calving ease bull.  He's bigger boned and a little coarse in his front end.  (for a "calving ease" bull).

We bred 30 heifers to SCHIEFELBEIN EFFECTIVE 61 from Genex and so far we haven't touched one.  We're very pleased with the calving ease.  We've also had good luck with SAV Bismarck on heifers.  The Bismarck females turn out beautiful and have absolutely perfect udders.

Davidsonranch

Hey thanks!  A friend recommended him.  He is a Northern Improvement / crossed to I forgot already.  I will take a look at the bulls you recommended. Appreciate the info.

FriedgesCharolais

I am going to second SAV Bismarck. I had two heifers bred to him that calved this year. One was 2 weeks early (49# heifer calf) and one was a bull calf full term at 76#. Also when you are looking at epds look at the accuracy. Thats what i really like about Bismarck is that he is a very very proven calving ease bull and also his calves are extremely marketable

cowboy_nyk

I haven't used or seen anything from Confidence (in Canada), so I can't speak on him. I wouldn't use him based on the low scrotal EPD, but I'm in the business of selling Angus bulls. As a crossbred or terminal sire that's irrelevant probably.

Hoover Dam has been popular.  I've seen some very good progeny.  Docile and heavily muscled.  They are finer boned and appear to calve easy.  He has high accuracies for calving ease as well.  I'm not sure about udders on females.  I can't say that I've seen a mature female yet.  You can't go wrong with him or Bismarck really.

lightnin4

Had a few confidence calves last year (a neighbor of mine used him too) with no calving problems.  My biggest calf weighed 71 lbs.  I'm not sure they grew as well as I would like.
I'm a big fan of Hoover Dam.  The best bull I sold this year was sired by him.  I have a few younger ones coming on too.  They all have a nice hip and good thickness, plus a super disposition.  All of them have grown and weaned off well too.  I have a heifer sired by him that will calve in April.  She's the first breeding age female I've had out of him. 

OSmith1999

Connealy Confidence, We had one out of a first calf heifer 71lbs no help. Stout calf, possibly show heifer build right as of now, just have to see how she grows. I'm gonna try Bush's Unbelievable after seeing some of his calf crop, I'm pretty Impressed.