angus genetic defects

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

What are some of the (if any) known defects associated with DHD Traveler 6807 and any of the Ohlde OCC bloodlines?  Thanks.

goodnight

Some of the OCC lines have been carriers of double muscling. 6807, as I understand it, is clean of all known lethal genetic defects.

knabe

comercialfarmer

knabe said:
goodnight said:
Some of the OCC lines have been carriers of double muscling. 6807, as I understand it, is clean of all known lethal genetic defects.

i think it's only

AAA 15269775 O C C Prototype 847P 08/02/11

don't know of others.

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAJBSwb0knP3mNLKzhABkmhryYAaSNb72oTbqKk52jmZy&time=LgAAAD5bw1A8Zz6ycelRG%2bcxyT2%2bxTOSP7yLjNBBf%2fOyoMt9xcVlg0xuOi3SpGQmZ6sQbQ%3d%3d

Rather impressive with the number of defects known and the popularity of the breed. 

aj

I had one guy tell me linebreeding to Anchor may produce some bad udders.......all I've heard.

trevorgreycattleco

I'd say here is a good example of line breeding that's eliminated a lot of issues. Only one bull out of a slew he has bred is pretty good. Maybe I'm off here. Jmo

knabe

trevorgreycattleco said:
I'd say here is a good example of line breeding that's eliminated a lot of issues. Only one bull out of a slew he has bred is pretty good. Maybe I'm off here. Jmo

yeah, you are off.

trevorgreycattleco

Explain. He line breeds. Maybe not exactly as tight as one would like. But the 1019 cow was line bred a lot in his herd. So was 6807.

I guess you are to smart to explain to me why I'm off. You just give a smug comment.

trevorgreycattleco

I'm curious to why I'm off? Out of all the defects that have come down the pipe in angus I don't see a lot of his prefix with defects. Obviously you say I'm wrong. I'd like to know what you think. Didn't mean to come off like a ass earlier.

knabe

The goal of line breeding is not to create an outstanding individual.

He was line breeding in quite a few breeds decades ago and knew about sire daughter matings.

Saw first hand the results, both good and bad.

I asked him once what was wrong with Maines other than size and bw.

He said maines had more defects than other breeds and had a disease restance issue due to them not being here long enough.

Put it this way. He knew where monkey mouth and spastic paresis came from through line breeding.

It's pretty clear that defects are propagated more today through popularity than anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1019 is prominent for a variety of issues.

Interestingly, there is an obesity gene talked about and I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't pcc cattle or some type of proportional dwarf.

From that I have been trying to find a female to line breed. Found three.

trevorgreycattleco

Thank you. That's fascinating honestly. What do you mean by sure daughter matings? So has he seen defects and not reported them? Just kicked em to the dead pile?

knabe

trevorgreycattleco said:
Thank you. That's fascinating honestly. What do you mean by sure daughter matings? So has he seen defects and not reported them? Just kicked em to the dead pile?

sire daughter.  sorry.  everyone kicked them to the dead pile.  this one requires a long explanation and usually draws criticism.  if it pipes up, i will explain.

knabe

trevorgreycattleco said:
What do you think about his theory of Maines not being here long enough?

basically the foundation of similar thought that it is foolish to think moving cattle to different environments and expecting them to perform the same is ridiculous.  it takes a few generations to store/accumulate environmental information.

its with all breeds and there is probably a good distribution within and between them.

hybrid vigor is probably a good antidote.

comercialfarmer

knabe said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
What do you think about his theory of Maines not being here long enough?

basically the foundation of similar thought that it is foolish to think moving cattle to different environments and expecting them to perform the same is ridiculous.  it takes a few generations to store/accumulate environmental information.

its with all breeds and there is probably a good distribution within and between them.

hybrid vigor is probably a good antidote.

I understand that environmental stressors will turn on genes/enzymes in animals, and even during fetal development altering the expression of the genes before the fetus is even born.

Which is why, I've felt that AI'ing to dams in the environment would result in a calf more suited to the particular environment than one purchased and hauled long distances. 

But how is this information stored and accumulated in successive generations, making the later more adapted than the first? 

It has been a while since I was exposed to the deeper side of genomics.