angus registration question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steered

While reading the thread on red angus 1A and 1B thread it got me thinking about this... Can a black calf resulting from the mating of a black angus and a red angus be registered with the American Angus Association?  While looking at the Angus websight I found a paragraph that stated "an animal red in color, or whose ancestor(s) are red in color...shall not be eligible for registration."  From that I take it that the resulting calf from the described mating would NOT be eligible to be registered.  The reason that I am asking is that a friend of mine has a bull that he bought as a pregnancy in a heifer, that is throwing a good number of red calves.

advocate

I think you can register reds out of one or both black parents but not blacks with red ancestry but the red guys here could fill you in there but no blacks can only be from blacks

loveRedcows

Red calves resulting from parents registered in the Angus Assoc can be registered as 1A (100%) Red Angus if there are no other "color" restrictions such as black pigment around the eyes & anus.  If these are present the calf will be charted as a Catagory II and their progeny which meet the color qualifications can be registered as 1A.  Although it is simply a color gene the AAA has always considered the red gene a genetic defect & has shunned the thought that many blacks carry this terrible defect.  Guess it doesn't matter that I've seen many "black angus" with white udders.....

Cattledog

loveRedcows said:
 Although it is simply a color gene the AAA has always considered the red gene a genetic defect & has shunned the thought that many blacks carry this terrible defect.  Guess it doesn't matter that I've seen many "black angus" with white udders.....

I don't think anyone ever said it was a terrible defect.  I believe that this is just a desire of the AAA to be a more uniform colored breed.  From a marketing perspective their strategy can't really be argued with.  The black color is viewed as quality, wether or not the resulting calf is or isn't.  The prices prove it.  I know this may spark debate as to how much the Black angus contribute in terms of carcass quality but the facts prove that you will get more per cwt.

Steered

I guess my question might be, "is it acceptable that some black angus out there are not homozygous black?"  I personally do not have a problem with it, but I grew up being told that if you used an angus bull he would make them black and polled.  There is definitely a red gene in the wood pile somewhere with this bull!

AStar

Jeff_Schroeder said:
It's hardly rare or something they try to hide.  C A Future Direction 5321 is a red carrier.

He is not designated as a red carrier. Where did you hear that?

JSchroeder

I was mistaken.  He comes up so many times in the Red Angus registry (primarily through 5L Red Angus) I  never checked that it was category II cattle.