Angus show bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

sgeyer

We have a herd of Registered Black Angus and Red Angus that we breed to get some show heifers out of every year for our daughters to show.  Would like you to give me your top 3 in each breed on what you have had success with for angus bulls that produce good quality show heifers.

lightnin4

I agree that the type of cows you have will make a difference.  That said, I have had several females out of SAV 8180 Traveler 004 that are really nice, but they can have a bit of an attitude.  I'm really liking the Net Worth calves we have this year and we had a couple of really nice BC Lookout bulls last year (more calves coming by him from sexed heifer semen).  We have used Bismarck on most of our heifers the past 2 years and I have gotton some nice calves sired by him...have also had some not so good ones.  He has been consistent as far as calving ease but not quality.  So we're trying some different bulls for calving ease this year (BC Classic, Limestone Great Divide, Conneally Thunder).

ploughshare

Yes, you need to match the bull to the cow, but for your consideration I would recommend these Angus bulls.  Note, the dead sires are harder to find and very expensive.

Dead proven bulls: Lutton, Lut, Hot Rod, Saughatchee

Current proven bulls:  Silveiras Style, about any EXAR, WK, SAV, PVF or BC bull.

I think Style would cover the bases on a lot of cows.  I have seen some fantastic heifers by him. 

Show Dad

Wouldn't argue with any suggestion so far. All would do you good in general.

Here is my two cents worth:
Black: Exar Pitboss, TC Freedom, CC&7 (calving ease)

Red: JKC Huckleberry, PIE Game On, Mulberry.

jok

My top bulls would be Gambles Hot Rod, BC Look Out, and SAV Bismark. We are also going to ues Gambles Gafe Bet 4500,  SAV Iron Mnt, SAV Free Spirit, VAR Rocky and Silveiras Stlyle.

sgeyer

I do realize with the registered herd alot rides on what you are looking for in EPD's and your cattle.  They are out of some Connealy Danny Boy, a La Grand Black Velvet bull and Raven for the blacks.  The red is out of Badlands Mojito.  I just wanted some suggestions on what has been working for others and will take a look at all the suggestions and make the best choice.  

Mill Iron A

Look up flesch Angus.  They have a connealy bull who was the high selling Net worth a couple years ago and I like everything out of him. He just sold a heifer out of him at the NILE for $8000 and will be toting her around the country.  For the reds I would agree with JKC Huckleberry, TJS Berry Cherry, and CBAR Contour.

Mueller Show Cattle

I don't use many Angus bulls except on some of my heifers. I am surprised I have not heard anyone say Northern Improvement. I love him on heifers as he is a prooven easy calver, plus his calves come small and then grow fast. They do have a show look to them.

wfq

I would be careful what cows you breed BC Lookout to.  I have seen some really good calves out of him but I think you've got to breed him to really big cows to get heifers big enough to be competitive.  I love the calves out of him but most of the ones we have had just were undersized to show well.  I have seen some calves out of BC Eagle Eye that I have been really impressed with.  I also think Silveiras Style and Gambles Royal Flush are bulls that will throw some stylish heifers

rtmcc

Style and BC Lookout have worked great for us. Both need to be used on a little bigger framed cows with some hip. They sure do make them sound, pretty and nice ribbed with that "look at me" ring presence. Payday seems to be workimg on the right kind of cows. I have not used him but have seen a lot of nice SAV Brilliance calves.
Here is a picture of the kids Res Grand Angus heifer by Style @ the Minnesota Beef Expo.
Ron

<cowboy>