another Gigolo Joe heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

frostback said:
jtho3c said:
I'm using his son and I sure hope he's more homozygous black than his father!

How do you get MORE homozygous? Or are you referring to the white spots he throws?

and the red calves.

it appears he's not homozygous for pattern or color?  not a big deal.

Dusty

Got a red roan joe out of a blue roan sonny daughter.  Red doesn't bother me.  White doesn't bother me either.  More eye catching and you can always make it black if its somewhere u don't want it.  It seems like a lot of the good bulls are red carriers.  HW, HS, SS, i have a theory why this is, but its probably a bunch of crap.

frostback

knabe said:
frostback said:
jtho3c said:
I'm using his son and I sure hope he's more homozygous black than his father!

How do you get MORE homozygous? Or are you referring to the white spots he throws?

and the red calves.

it appears he's not homozygous for pattern or color?  not a big deal.

Sorry just a little brain fart. Was he ever advertised as homo black?

knabe

Dusty said:
It seems like a lot of the good bulls are red carriers.  HW, HS, SS, i have a theory why this is, but its probably a bunch of crap.

here's my theory.  the red gene is not transferred in and of itself in isolation, ie, there would have to have been a crossover on both sides of the gene with very little real estate transferred around the gene. it probably is in a linkage group that accounts for other factors other than red.  it's not crap.  as you cross more and more and the odds of getting closer to the other side of that linkage group, therefore eliminating diversity with the linkage group between the two parental lines, you will revert to the type without the color.  i bet red or a carrier essentially guarantees you more of a chance you get the muttification look.  without the allele, linkage group, you get more of a higher percentage look.  maybe it's one long linkage group, or a very prepotent short section.  probably will be interesting to look at if i were still in the genome business.

Dusty

knabe said:
Dusty said:
It seems like a lot of the good bulls are red carriers.  HW, HS, SS, i have a theory why this is, but its probably a bunch of crap.

here's my theory.  the red gene is not transferred in and of itself in isolation, ie, there would have to have been a crossover on both sides of the gene with very little real estate transferred around the gene. it probably is in a linkage group that accounts for other factors other than red.  it's not crap.  as you cross more and more and the odds of getting closer to the other side of that linkage group, therefore eliminating diversity with the linkage group between the two parental lines, you will revert to the type without the color.  i bet red or a carrier essentially guarantees you more of a chance you get the muttification look.  without the allele, linkage group, you get more of a higher percentage look.  maybe it's one long linkage group, or a very prepotent short section.  probably will be interesting to look at if i were still in the genome business.

yeah.hmmm. My theory is that when we made the red breeds black, Limi, Simi, Maine, is that we sacrificed some of the good qualities for sake of hide color.

knabe

Dusty said:
yeah.hmmm. My theory is that when we made the red breeds black, Limi, Simi, Maine, is that we sacrificed some of the good qualities for sake of hide color.

a little birdy told my that black is the best way to obscure breed characteristics.