Another OYE, another disappointing ending but I am still proud of my family!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

Well after a few days to let the steam off, I decided to go ahead and post a picture of my son's Eye Candy Angus (50%) market steer.  Many of you have seen pictures of him on this site and some asked for a picture of him once it was totally fitted.  Unfortunately despite all the attention and kind words my son received regarding his calf (some who have been in the business for a long time and won OYE a couple times thought we could even squeeze into the top 5) the calf was not the style the judge was wanting in a market steer.  My son ended up 6th out of 12 in his class.  I am still proud of my son and all the hard work my family did on the calf.  The judge might not have liked him but we are glad to have had the opportunity to show him.

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 222

coachmac

looks like you should be proud.  good fit job on a pretty dang good calf!  I could give you the rah rah, keep your head up stuff, but I have a feeling you have heard it.  I know I have more than once!  Almost like a canned set of reasons after a while.  LOL  Nothing to be ashamed of with that calf! 

Sambosu

Thanks coachmac.  Your right, I have heard the RAH RAH stuff. That stuff might help a little the first time but not so much the second time.  This calf was definitely better than the Angus calf we showed last year but some how the same judge liked it less.  Last year's calf was 3rd out of 12 and first alternate in the sale and this year we fall 3 places.  I just don't get it but I understand that is part of showing animals.  I would have loved to seen a panel of judges at OYE this year like Denver.   

cpratz

I know your feeling at the city. My first year I had a first alternate steer (didn't make it). This year I had a char steer that had never been beat in his breed at like 7-8 shows and ended up 2 of 3 at OYE hopefully I will do better at Tulsa.

Showgirl33

I know how you feel...I had a steer that everyone was looking at and it made me get my hopes up..well I ended of standing 2nd in class and didn't even get a chance to go back out to show for reserve champion or anything...however i did make the sale

pjkjr4

Misery loves company!! There's a whole lot more people that went home empty-handed than those that got a sale card. My 2 kids included. My daughter got 2nd place in class 7 Maine, and my son got 3rd place class 1 AOB. He actually made it to the line for about 30 seconds before it was over. He was ok with how he did this year. My daughter however was pretty disappointed after being one of the top crossbreds last year in the sale.

Stuff like that keeps us coming back year after year. I look at the OYE as a reward for a year's worth of hard work. We get our stuff done when we get there, and then we go play and go show. The highlight of my weekend was having an employee at Celebration Station shut down myself and 6 other 25-50 year old men and give us a talking to about reckless driving on the go kart track!!! I'm going to have to wait until next year to get kicked out!

chambero

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.  You have to remember - almost everyone else is trying really hard also.

The steers get better and the competition gets tougher every year.  You can't judge yourself and your progress just based on how you did last year.