Any Capiche Calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

I took an AI course with Select Sires and have some semen credits I need to use. Since reading these posts I think I will order a bunch of Capiche sexed heifer and regular semen. If anybody is interested let me know. Thanks!

Till-Hill

I'm not a huge fan of shorty's but after seeing him and homo  polled? Select doesn't advertise that and on shorthorn website just behind horns has a p??? He is in my clubby program next year. He has 26 registered calves today. I bought 5 female sexed to use on angus cows and 5 conventional to use on clubby cows. He sure don't look like he could sire shallow calves and the guy I talked to @ select has the same opinion on shorty's I do and he loves the bull, picked him to put in the line-up with the few clubbys they have so I trust he is a good one.........

Wisrose

This is a bull calf (3/23/11)out of a Reg. Hereford. Pretty stout. 92# BW.
DSC03831.jpg

The roan calf in the group is last years calf out of a reg. Short. 112# BW HARD pull. Real leggy. He's our sons Cty fair steer this year. Nothing fancy.
DSC02800.jpg

AFSC

have you guys had any luck with sexed semen?  I've used both Select and Genex and am 0 for 7. Biggest waste of time and money for me last year. If I even use the rest I will put a standard straw of something else in too. They say 15% less conception rate but heck with my results i don't plan to buy any more until they figure it out better.  And yes we were breeding heifers and yes my conception rate was excellent last year other than the sexed semen.

Ive seen some nice Capiche heifers but have seen very few.  I have one heifer as well that's nice. I'll use him on heifers for calving ease from now on but that's it.

savaged

Capiche X P.B. Limousin.  I like her more all the time, she has really gained well and is very correct.  She was about 70 pounds B.W.    I'd use him again. 

Attachments

• Capiche2011.jpg
    Capiche2011.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 202

Till-Hill

AFSC said:
have you guys had any luck with sexed semen?  I've used both Select and Genex and am 0 for 7. Biggest waste of time and money for me last year. If I even use the rest I will put a standard straw of something else in too. They say 15% less conception rate but heck with my results i don't plan to buy any more until they figure it out better.  And yes we were breeding heifers and yes my conception rate was excellent last year other than the sexed semen.

Ive seen some nice Capiche heifers but have seen very few.  I have one heifer as well that's nice. I'll use him on heifers for calving ease from now on but that's it.
Have not used my sexed Capiche yet but on my dairy and beef (mostly heifers) I actually have been running a touch higher conception rate on sexed semen. But I really watch how good of a heat she is in and only use first service sexed and only on them really fertile good conditioned kind of heifers. Sexed semen works.
How are you handling your sexed semen? 1/4cc straws are alot eaiser to get cold shock and you need to keep them away from major temp. changes.

AFSC

95 degree for about 45 sec, same as I've always done and always been taught for thawing any semen, and have never been told any differently for sexed.  I've only used a few of Capiche sexed and a few of a sim/an bull through genex with no success. 

OH Breeder

savaged said:
Capiche X P.B. Limousin.  I like her more all the time, she has really gained well and is very correct.  She was about 70 pounds B.W.    I'd use him again. 

Really like her Savaged. Looks like she will make a cow. Will be great to see how she develops.

linnettejane

well i went thru every one of his progeny reg. with the shorty assoc(4 pages)...there were only a couple that had high birth weights, the rest were very reasonable...upper 60's to mid 70's...a few in the 80's...  im goin' for it...

LittleHeifer

Alot of people around here including my brother and I lost their capiche calves, needless to say that I wasn't very happy alot of people weren't and I doubt I'll be using him again but you never know.
Little Heifer (angel)

Till-Hill

I was hoping with Select having him he would be fertile but I went 0 for 2 on sexed semen with him. Small number to compare but both heifers were in a raging heat but will have to wait till next year to try again. Seen some calves and they look darn good. 2 smaller at birth ones but did see a whale too.....

J

JTM

I bred about three heifers to sexed capiche with the semen I got from the AI course. They didn't take the first time but I'm hoping that they have passed over after the second breeding.