ANY THOUGHTS ON SICK COW

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROMAX

I have an 8 yr old shorty cow who calved april 1,today she looks like death warmed over.She had 1 big quarter since she calved, but as of today i noticed it was down,milked out each quarter an theone that had been hard , just had a clearish fluid the other three milk,she has lots of snot in her nose and very slow and dopey,i needled with 60cc penicillin an put in sick pen,i was thinking mastitis but wondered what all you thought.THANKS.

Show Heifer

What is her temp? Respiration rate?  Sounds like to me a nasty case of pneumonia.... you need something much stronger than pen g to kick this.
Ask your vet, but I would go with Nuflor, Draxxin.

Good luck

DL

Your cow is systemically ill

Cattle are excellent at hiding how sick they are - by the time they look like death warmed over they are really sick

call your vet

genesaw

I sure would check into the mastitis, some types of it can be pretty toxic and really mess a cow up the clear watery type usaully is bad

ROMAX

Thanks guys i called the vet and he said she had pnemonia and pumped her full of replor ,she looks ten times better.i got scared this morning as dad said a coon was wandering around the barnyard and thought it might be rabies,so i went over this am to check out the cow and found the coon and killed it (how many times do you have to hit them with a shovel to die)

GSG

What is replor?  Did you by chance mean Resflor that new antibiotic?  Hope she's doing better. Good luck <cowboy>