Anybody look at cattle over the weekend??

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

There were a lot of sales held over the weekend. 

We saw excellent cattle at Vogel's, Schable & Smith, Nelson's, Sullivan's, Sherwood's, Joyce's, and Swanson's and had a great weekend looking at cattle!!  Our overall impression was that we had too many sales we'd like to get to and way too little time to get to them all!!  We sure appreciated all the hospitality shown to us at every stop along the way!! 

Where did everyone else go and what were your favorites??

TMJ Show Cattle

We came back from the Cate's sale saturday night then hit all the Southwestern Wisc. and The quaundrant of breeders from Bernard Ia. to Tipton down to Williamsburg and Ia. City over to Southeast Ia. and Western Illinois Sunday and Monday and to be frank thought we seen better calves than out west. Seen some real good heifers at White's, Keenes, Noonan's BnR Bill Pitz Danners, Minnaerts etc. NOONAN had THE steer of the trip. He was at ten grand almost 2 weeks before sale,which is this next Saturday.Lots of good cattle at lots of places.Club calf sales at later dates will be loaded this year.

shortyjock89

Absolutely loved the heifers at Studer's, Dale and family made us feel very welcome and had a great time there.  Sullivan's had a very nice set at both locations, steers and heifers both.  Craig Steck has an excellent set of heifers out in Omaha, and he was a very very good host, had a great time out there.  Next year we're going back to all those places for sure.  Tim Brandenburg has a few very good heifers, Doc you need to decide what I can buy your white Bloodstone heifer for!

As far as steers go, we really liked Scott Campbell's here in IL. The white JPJ steer is awesome, best steer I've seen in IL. He also had some very good composites and the best Angus steer I've seen in some time.  Zach Gray also had a good set here in IL.  Travis Allen had some very nice calves, and seemed like the bids were pretty reasonable when we were there.  Hunter Brothers had some nice calves, the Muddy Monopoly steer was clean for a change haha.  There were some heifers there that I feel were steals, including a very good (but green) Sunseeker.

I had bids in at Studer's, SULL's, and Steck's, but I'm out at Studer's now, and awaiting a call from SULL.  Steck's sale doesn't end for a couple more weeks, but I'm excited to see what happens.  The best heifer I've seen this year is the Solution x Cherri 205 heifer there!

SWMO

We went through South Central and South West Iowa and looked at some great, good and not so good cattle.  Downing had a great set of steers and market heifers. (WOW) is all I can say.  Definately out of my price range.  Love tag #139 and tag #735.  Jorgensen Show Cattle had a nice set of steers. Trausch Farms also.  Wolf/Wallace Club Calf Sale presented a really nice set of steers and heifers.  Really nice ET heifers out of Paddy and Heatwave.  Nice Ali heifer.  Outstanding I am legend heifer and a Monopoly and Hairy Bear steer that could stand a lot of competition.  Very nice people also.  Campidilli's had a Dirty Hairy and a Monopoly steers that were very good and a Monopoly x Impulse and a Heatwave x MeyerX  heifers that were positively the best heifers that I saw all weekend.  These heifers WILL make cows.  Tapkens fell right in that group also.

Nice weekend to look at cattle.

PLKR

Holy cow Justin and TMJ, we took the "middle" of your 2 tours in the last 6 or 7 days. We hit 3 places in SW Wis. on Thurs (Keene, White, and Wiegel), stopped at Hunter's and Derek Sandy's on Saturday, and went to Noonan's and the rest of the Bernard folks on Monday...stayed home and made hay Fri. and Sun. lol  TMJ, we don't always agree, but I will agree the steer at Noonan's is as good as I have seen this fall. He was at $9750 when we were there yesterday--hard to say where he will stop! We also saw several really good ones at Sandy's and Hunter's, as well as other stops around Bernard. We had visited Travis Allen a few days earlier--also a good set of calves. Man, isn't it fun lookin at these boogers...just wish I didn't have anything else to do!!

TMJ Show Cattle

Know what you mean there PKRL. It's ok we don't agree on stuff,heck that's what makes the world go around.We left a bid on the Monopoly heifer and Carnac  at Noonans. Don't expect to get either one,but that's ok. Mr. Raisback wants us to show the 9a heifer and possibly the 19a calf that he bought at Cates sale. Sure would like to have a good black un also.

tadpole

We made it out on Saturday.  Made it to Ronald Smith's, Ryan Knudson's, JBR, Brad and Dennis Smith, Julie Jackson, NMJ Cattle, Joyce's, Golden Acres, Mike Kuhlman's, and Murl Dodds.  It was a long day but we had a great time and saw many great cattle.  We are just looking for heifers so we don't study the steers at all but some of the ones that really caught my eye were a Unforgiven steer at Ron's, the char colored monopoly steer at Ryan's, a goldmember and unforgiven steers at JBR, a monopoly X full flush steer at Brad and Dennis's, and a Heatwave steer at Joyce's.  Picked out a lot of very good heifers and am still trying to decide on which ones to bid on haha.  But it was a beautiful day for viewing cattle,  saw a lot of great cattle, and great hospitality from everyone.

shortyjock89

HannaCattle said:
Justin, what did you think about Hunter Bros heifers?

Some of them were just OK, and some were really steery and too straight, but there were a couple that were sound, and nice(but green), and their bids were pretty low at the time.

MorMad

We made our first trip north to Sullivan's sale and a couple of others. I have not seen that many cattle that good in one place before. I will be making the trip back next year for sure. If anyone knows what the 309 tag steer brought or where he ended up I would realy like to know. We liked him a lot and we would like to know how he turns out in the end.

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

Dunno what the steer ended up going for, but he was one of the better steers there. Was a little disappointed in the size of him. Was really impressed with Downing's steers. Hard to pick just one favorite! Weisinger's had some super nice calves as well, they also went out of their way to show us around! Sojka didn't disappoint either. Have bought calves from him before and been happy with them. Also saw a DANG nice hereford steer at Stream. Not even too much of a hereford fan, but that one definitely made me think twice. Definitely worth taking a look at!!!

shoboy

Looked at a lot of really good sets of cattle last weekend.  Very impressed in SW Iowa...Hunter and Sandy both had impressive sets of cattle, Downing had a high quality set, Really liked the shorthorns at Studers, Mittag had a very deep set and Jorgenson's calves weregood as usual.

SWMO

I thought the Eye Candy calves that I saw were on the whole very small.  What did the rest of you'all think. 

shortyjock89

SWMO said:
I thought the Eye Candy calves that I saw were on the whole very small.  What did the rest of you'all think. 

Yeah, they weren't too big, that's for sure. Other than frame size, I really liked the Eye Candy at Mittag's.  They had some wicked good crossed up calves IMO.

steerraiser

We saw a bunch of the calves in Iowa and were a little disapointed in the depth of good ones.  That muddy calf did not look anything like his pic, I am surprised to hear he is bringing so much money.  I thought there were several good calves at Klinger's, he had a good Carnac and a good Monopoly.  Roecker's had a real good Monopoly as well.  Just my thoughts

Dusty

Only went to a couple places. Saw nice HW steer and couple real good HW heifers at Joe Sullivans, nice Monopoly heifer at luke spencers.  Saw some real nice ones out in Nebraska.

showsteer mom

steerraiser I agree with you. We ended up hitting 26 places from Saturday eve thru Mon eve and loved the quality of heifers at each location. Their were lots of good ones. This will be the year that I wouldn't want to be judging the heifers shows. The steers on the other hand were alittle disappointing. Everyone had a decent one, Only a few real good ones seen on our venture. Bob Thompson had a really good one, we were out on the second round on him. Steer at Jorgesons, didn't even get on him. He was over $20,000 and still 3 on him when I talked to him. Wolf & Wallace, neat blk & wht steer. Downing always has good steers and this year was no different. Joyces had some good cattle. Didn't make it to Sullivans or Hunter Bros. Schable & Smith had the best set of steers that they have ever had since we started going there. Did anyone else feel like they were on the amazing race with the Pro Tour Incentive?? after thinking about that it makes me chuckle.