Anyone ever eaten bone for dinner?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Steaks

Today the judge said my (steer) couldnt rank higher because he did not have enough bone. Now in my 18 years of life i have never once been graced with a nice beef bone dinner. just wondering if anyone has? also wondering why less bone puts you farther back in class? i can see that bone is good in breeding stock but steers does it really matter? it is just waste on a  carcass anyways

dori36

Show Steaks said:
Today the judge said my (steer) couldnt rank higher because he did not have enough bone. Now in my 18 years of life i have never once been graced with a nice beef bone dinner. just wondering if anyone has? also wondering why less bone puts you farther back in class? i can see that bone is good in breeding stock but steers does it really matter? it is just waste on a  carcass anyways

Only if he's so light boned that had he been in a commercial feeding situation, he wouldn't have held up to step up to the bunk and compete with other steers in the lot.  Theoretically (and I DO mean theoretically), I suppose the steers you show are supposed to mirror what works in a feedlot.  In reality, we all know that's not true for show steers.  Got any pics of him?

knabe

i have never once been graced with a nice beef bone dinner. just wondering if anyone has?

i eat bone marrow, does that count?  i also have my sister make me stock with bones.

probably not what you are looking for.

sjcattleco

that BS that these judges say that they would like to see more substance of bone has to be one of the dumbest statements a judge can make... First of all that is what led to the whole TH and PHA deal!!! TH carriers have more bone and hair which gives the illusion of bone.... So then Ta daaa  you get a whole batch or carriers being saved back...

Also cattle that are truely heavy boned have poor carcasses!  That is a proven fact!  Slighter boned cattle grade better and easier.

it would be nice if the next judge at a major show uttered those words about wanting more bone someone should whip out the femur of a 1200 lb cow and chuck it at him!

Also has anyone noticed that truly thick muscled cattle do not have alot of bone?  and these shelly hard doers have tons. hmmmmmm

stangs13

Like said above he has to have the bone ( and structure) to cary himself in a feedlot situation...and not to sound like a broken record, you have to remember that they have brothers(bulls) and sisters somewhere that have to carry themselves not only to get around the pasture(how many ranches have 1000s of acres?), but for breeding support also.. Which is why bone and structure should be of relative importance in steers. You also have to remember that these are SHOW steers....a heavily muscled leg with big bones is very appealing to the eye..

justintime

I think there is some merit to beef cattle having adequate bone. Again, I guess I am preaching the gospel of optimum rather than maximums or minimums. Adequate bone has much to do with longevity.We took about 50 bulls of several breeds to a range bull sale in Sturgis, SD a few years ago. I talked with a pile of ranchers from Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. They were most critical on fine boned bulls and would not even bid on them. In recent years I have sold quite a few embryos to Australia, and they are probably the most structurally oriented cattlemen on earth. Not only do they want numbers, weights, videos but I have have also been asked to take video of the sire and dam's feet ( if possible) as well as measurements of cannon bone circumference. I have also been able to travel with a few Aussies extensively a few times to several herds in the US and Canada, and  that is when you hear a lot about the importance of adequate bone, proper structure of feet and legs, and overall soundness. The Aussie's are very critical of North American cattle not being selected for hard enough on structural issues.

The comment about TH cattle having more bone is a new one to me. There may be something to this, however, I do not think I have ever seen a noticable difference between bone in carriers and non carriers. I agree that most carriers have more hair, but that is also not the case in all of them. I have a couple of carriers that are recips here that are fine boned, poor haired and quite frankly rather frail. I have told them many times, that if they do not keep the embryo, they are toast!

I would think that fine boned cattle of both sexes would be frailer. Most of the shelly cows I see, are usually fine boned. If you don't agree, spend some time at an auction market and just watch the cow sale. I was licenced cattle dealer when we were feeding cattle and I spent many days watching literally thousands of cattle sell. The big order buyers certainly want cattle with good bone. I have watched them discount the fine boned ones by huge amounts.

As for the judge dumping your steer with not enough bone being the only reason he gives, I think that was probably a cop out on his part. I would think that if the steer is finished, carries adequate muscling, is the right size, etc, then it probably should not be used as a reason.... unless the placing is so close between first and second that he has to nit pick a little.

OH Breeder

Knabe et all a goos friend of mine travels abroad. He was in the Ukraine on business and they had bone gelatin with a piece of carp in the middle for one of their courses in a meal. He said bone gelatin did not taste good at all. He didn't make it to the fish in the middle.

herefordfootball

Thats for sure, I've never had bone for dinner!!!  But we went down to a fair at indy and the judge kept going on and on about how important carcass values and traits are, but in the end he picked the big boned yak. Never ate hair or bone for dinner!!! LOL!!!! But thats what they want to win a show.

common sense

Ah ShowSteaks, you have been christened. Personally, I don't care for bone steaks nor do I like to pay extra for them at the market.  HOWEVER... most of my plate meals do not pass through the show arena before finding their way to the grocers counter. So, you must understand that you are SHOWING to a "dog and pony show" audience and therefore you are going to have to bring one fancy pony to the show if you want to stand out amongst the crowd.  In the real world I would probably purchase your calf to put directly into my freezer.  So you have to keep in mind what your goal is.  Are you trying to compete in the serious show world or are you trying to breed and market cattle that are going to compete at the market?  Please don't take this as a judgement of your ultimate plan.  I don't think either one is wrong.  I just think that if your goal is to produce a great beef product that you should not be discouraged.  You are on the right path. Keep up the fight, stand your ground and if Bone Soup ever becomes popular just be willing to change your program!

Juli

CPL

sjcattleco said:
that BS that these judges say that they would like to see more substance of bone has to be one of the dumbest statements a judge can make... First of all that is what led to the whole TH and PHA deal!!! TH carriers have more bone and hair which gives the illusion of bone.... So then Ta daaa  you get a whole batch or carriers being saved back...

Also cattle that are truly heavy boned have poor carcasses!   That is a proven fact!  Slighter boned cattle grade better and easier.

it would be nice if the next judge at a major show uttered those words about wanting more bone someone should whip out the femur of a 1200 lb cow and chuck it at him!

Also has anyone noticed that truly thick muscled cattle do not have alot of bone?  and these shelly hard doers have tons. hmmmmmm

There are always extremes. Too much bone and too little bone. As with MOST areas of Beef Cattle Production, MODERATION is key.

You guys need to realize that show steer competition is tough. When you have steers that are all alike in terms of muscle, design, etc etc. you have to start being nit picky. It's those little things that make the difference between Grand Champion and Class Winner.

Show Steaks  remember this -- You weren't asked to judge the show. Obviously this guy has more sense and credit than you.

I bet you that if you had won the show you would have been in love with the judge.

Sorry if this has come off harsh, but I really just hate it when people get into judge bashing because it really has turned GOOD LIVESTOCK EVALUATORS away from the show ring. Its uncalled for, and just plain disrespectful. Grow up !!!

stangs13

I dont know where I saw this quote, but I love it.

"hair, you can't eat it, but you can't beat it!"

We need one for bone size!

GONEWEST

Bone is important because of all the structural issues that JIT mentioned. If you would like to debate the relevance of perfect structure to a steer that is to be killed at 20 mos or less, I will gladly be on your side. But from a commercial aspect bone is important if only for the fact that if I sell my cattle by the pound, all other things equal, a bigger boned calf obviously weighs more and puts more money in my pocket.

Making the statement that smaller boned cattle grade better is like a politician spinning a situation to appear in his favor. A blanket statement saying that fine boned cattle grade better is only true  because most fine boned cattle have an abundance of Angus in them and cattle with an abundance of Angus in them generally grade better. They grade better due to their breed make up, not due to having small bone. However they do not yield nearly as well. You will find that in general animals with lots of muscle also have lots of bone. If you find a yield grade 1 or 2 carcass that is low choice or above, chances are it did not come from an animal with fine bone.

knabe

GONEWEST said:
If you find a yield grade 1 or 2 carcass that is low choice or above, chances are it did not come from an animal with fine bone.

what is the least bone that would move it out of the "chances are it did not come from an animal with fine bone" category?

with discussions like this, i usually try and remember that when you merge a bunch of different looking people's faces, they yield a suprisingly beautiful person.  to me, it's the same with market animals, and within a category of bulls and cows.

GONEWEST

what is the least bone that would move it out of the "chances are it did not come from an animal with fine bone" category?

Again its not the size of the bone that determines carcass yield and grade. It's the genetic make up of the animal. High percentage Angus cattle, in genera, will be finer boned. In general, high percentage Angus cattle have high quality grades and lower yield grades. Thus the combination of a high yield grade and high quality grade, in general will not come from a high percentage Angus animal. Also the highest determining factor in quality grade is not genetic at all  but days on corn. That's why most of the carcass EPD's used by breed associations have no merit. There is no standard amount of days on feed, no standard type of feed, no standard feeding method or environment to apply to the carcass. If I take bull A who has great genetic ability to sire a quality carcass and you take bull B and change any one of those factors listed in your favor, especially days on corn, your bull will sire just as many high quality carcasses as mine.

Sorry if I inferred that bone size was a factor determining carcass quality. To do so would be spinning the facts and you and I aren't big fans od spin.

Show Heifer

I have never eaten bone, nor hair, both of which are priority ONE in the show ring.

After some thought, I have never eaten a good tasting show steer, but have eaten my share of good steaks!

I am friends with a feeder buyer and we get into some pretty interesting discussions. In his opinion, the show ring has absolutely NOTHING to do with real world cattle. NOTHING. He said, (and I quote) "Everything the show ring holds at a premium, I discount. I do not want hair. I do not want straight back legs. I do not want big boned animals. And I sure the hell do not want any piss poor performing clubbie genetics." Remember his words, not mine. ALthough I do agree with them!! 

You have to keep in mind when showing you are suppose to be in a cattle beauty contest. The prettiest one wins. Period. Has little to do with substance. (gee, just like a human beauty pagent) Go, compete, have fun and enjoy yourself. That is what 99.5% of the showman are doing. The other .5%  happen to get the purple banner.

farwest

Show Heifer said:
I have never eaten bone, nor hair, both of which are priority ONE in the show ring.

After some thought, I have never eaten a good tasting show steer, but have eaten my share of good steaks!

I am friends with a feeder buyer and we get into some pretty interesting discussions. In his opinion, the show ring has absolutely NOTHING to do with real world cattle. NOTHING. He said, (and I quote) "Everything the show ring holds at a premium, I discount. I do not want hair. I do not want straight back legs. I do not want big boned animals. And I sure the hell do not want any piss poor performing clubbie genetics." Remember his words, not mine. ALthough I do agree with them!!   

You have to keep in mind when showing you are suppose to be in a cattle beauty contest. The prettiest one wins. Period. Has little to do with substance. (gee, just like a human beauty pagent) Go, compete, have fun and enjoy yourself. That is what 99.5% of the showman are doing. The other .5%  happen to get the purple banner.
Substance-physical matter for which a thing exsists.  If you don't have substance to your calf, your gonna get rolled.  Furthermore, some of my kids past chi-maine cross clubbies have been the best eating weve ever had, and wever had alot of straight angus.  I had a paddy omally at a friends this spring that was out of this world.  Now alot depends on what they were fed and how they were fed, whether they were held at the end, drugs, ect....

Beach Limousin

From my experience, the showring and the feedlot are actually semi-related in what they select for. Isn't the purpose of bone so that a steer in the feed card can get up and go over to the feedbuck to eat without breaking a leg? Those pencil legged steers cost feedlots to much. Now I select for a moderate bone because in our breeding herd it seems the best cows are moderate everywhere. Any extreme in any direction seems to have more consequences than rewards, at least that's what we have seen.
Cody