Appendix shorthorn req

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

I'm sorry but I dislike the ASA website. Maybe I just don't have any patience... Could someone please describe what the requirements for appendix shorthorn classes are? Also, what seems to be more marketable, purebred or appendix heifers and steers?

librarian

I'm with you on not liking the site.
Whenever you want to work back thru a pedigree it requires you to go thru a seperste epd page for every animal. It takes you to the epd page first as if assuming that is the thing one is most interested in looking at. I miss the good old days of just clicking onto ancestor after ancestor, down the river of ancestry.
AND I just tried to look up information on the way CED is calculated and keep getting Oops this page isn't working. I bet there's more...
It's like the site was built by the healthcare.gov people.

aj

I always imagined the appendix Shorthorn classes to look similar to sim-angus, mainetainer, or Red Angus-Shorthorn crosses. The classes have turned out to be a club calfy type deal with allmost of them being genetic defect carriers. I'm not sure what % Shorthorn they have to be to be shown.

shortybreeder

Most shows require 1/2 or 3/8 shorthorn to show, but you can register as low as 1/4 for breeding up purposes. It is highly dependent on what your market is, and I'd say for selling show stock, I'd think a PLUS steer would sell easier (assuming it's clubby-bred) as for heifers, the purebred show is always larger, so that's where I'd expect the higher demand to be.

Edit: when selling show stock, a good one will sell whether it's purebred or appendix. Just look at Sullivan's past sales.