Arby's commercial

Help Support Steer Planet:

jackpotcattle

Not sure how many of you have seen the Arby's commercial with the little jingle about everyone liking Angus beef, but IMO Arby's is doing a better job of promoting our product (even if it is Angus) then we or our checkoff dollars are. If you haven't seen it, it is pretty good kind of catchy and I caught myself singing it in the tractor blowing snow.

aandtcattle

All I can say is "congratulations to the American ANgus Association and CAB for the best marketing ploy ever pulled off in the beef industry!  Angus thick-burgers at Hardees, Black Angus burgers at McDonalds, Black Angus steak sandwich at Arby's.  It's getting a bit old for me I guess.  I raise black angus cattle too, I am not a hater by any means but cmon, how many of the critters going into this branded "Angus" product arent even angus, or very damn little angus blood??  "Angus" is a catch word or marketing tool now that is meaning less and less all the time to me.  They need to call it the "predominantly black hided burger".

ruhtram

aandtcattle said:
All I can say is "congratulations to the American ANgus Association and CAB for the best marketing ploy ever pulled off in the beef industry!  Angus thick-burgers at Hardees, Black Angus burgers at McDonalds, Black Angus steak sandwich at Arby's.  It's getting a bit old for me I guess.  I raise black angus cattle too, I am not a hater by any means but cmon, how many of the critters going into this branded "Angus" product arent even angus, or very damn little angus blood??  "Angus" is a catch word or marketing tool now that is meaning less and less all the time to me.  They need to call it the "predominantly black hided burger".

Your totally right! In order for people to advertise beef as Angus they only have to be 50% blacked hided beef.....so Holsteins would classify as Angus, and I know Holsteins aren't NO ANGUS!

aandtcattle

Cruiser said:
aandtcattle said:

Your totally right! In order for people to advertise beef as Angus they only have to be 50% blacked hided beef.....so Holsteins would classify as Angus, and I know Holsteins aren't NO ANGUS!
Cruiser- You are pickin up what I'm laying down.  I was totally expecting a tongue-lashing on my post on this topic, but.......... the truth is hard to deny!

shortyjock89

linnettejane said:
they never claimed it was "certified angus beef".......................................

So then what is this "Angus" beef they're touting?

linnettejane

its probably sorta like the chi registering thing...if there is an angus in the field, its an angus....i dont know...just guessing...

Shorthorns4us

I had one of those Angus burgers at our local McDonald's and was not impressed.  If I was the Angus people-- I wouldn't want to associate my product with what I got at McDonald's that day-- totally devaluing your Angus product.
JMO.

shortyjock89

linnettejane said:
its probably sorta like the chi registering thing...if there is an angus in the field, its an angus....i dont know...just guessing...

Haha probably. I'm just curious, because to folks like us, that's what I would call a pretty strong claim. And i'm pretty sure if you go claiming something that has been branded (CAB), you have to back it up.  I know they didn't say "certified", but you can't just go around calling it Angus if it's not.

linnettejane

the truth said:
linnettejane said:
they never claimed it was "certified angus beef".......................................

so.. certified, doesn't mean "certified"

and if it was "certified", fast food wouldn't be able to afford it.

they (being arby's) never claimed their sandwich was made from "certified angus beef"...they just say "angus beef"...so im guessing arby's is not in kahoots with the angus association on this one...if they were, they would be singing "certified"...you can read into it what you want...

ruhtram

linnettejane said:
the truth said:
linnettejane said:

so.. certified, doesn't mean "certified"

and if it was "certified", fast food wouldn't be able to afford it.

they (being arby's) never claimed their sandwich was made from "certified angus beef"...they just say "angus beef"...so im guessing arby's is not in kahoots with the angus association on this one...if they were, they would be singing "certified"...you can read into it what you want...

From my understanding you are correct...they have to say certified angus beef. They can say "Angus" if its greater that 50% black hided.

ruhtram

aandtcattle said:
Cruiser said:
aandtcattle said:

Cruiser- You are pickin up what I'm laying down.  I was totally expecting a tongue-lashing on my post on this topic, but.......... the truth is hard to deny!

Lol No tongue-lashing from me, your right though, the truth is hard to deny!!!

ruhtram

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
linnettejane said:

So then what is this "Angus" beef they're touting?

From the view point of McDonald's,arbys etc. "Angus" beef is anything 50% or more black hided. So Angus beef isn't the same as certified Angus beef.

From my view point: Angus beef = certified Angus beef

BCCC

The way I see it we are benefiting from it one way or another, the beef market is better than ever and here we are scrutinizing the CAB program, It's the Angus association scheme to get rich, that's the only goal of all the breed associations. Props to them for it working so well. We sent 500 head of wheat pasture cattle to the feed yard last week, and we got a premium for them just because they were 80% black, I'd say 30% were Angus, 40% Simmental, 15% Maine  5% char, and who knows what the others were.

flacowman

I've had 3/4 char calves that I know ended up as certified angus because the hide was dark grayish/black to someone wanting a premium.  All I can say is they have a great marketing tool and our job as breeders of other cattle is to find a marketing tool that can compete