Are hogs easier than cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Totally dumb question here but I have never raised hogs.....is there much breeding of registered hogs or by certain bloodlines? One of the things I love about cattle is all the genetic possibilities out there and the fun of seeing what works and what doesn't with matings and the resulting progeny. I am not sure if there is much of that with hogs??

shortyjock89

braunvieh said:
Totally dumb question here but I have never raised hogs.....is there much breeding of registered hogs or by certain bloodlines? One of the things I love about cattle is all the genetic possibilities out there and the fun of seeing what works and what doesn't with matings and the resulting progeny. I am not sure if there is much of that with hogs??

They have catalogues full of AI boars just like our bull catalogues. 

jbw

For what the premium ribbons bring at our fair I think my kids should raise hoppers and cluckers! 250-300 dollars for champ. bunny or chicken, talk about return on investment!  I raised my own show pigs, but you can't compare the two. There is just more prestige with the calves. Both are great projects that more kids should get to expierience. IMO

okshowmom

I had to laugh at this post we just loaded up for our county livestock show and had all the supplies for both sheep and cattle. This is our first time taking a heifer and my hubby about had the big one when he seen all we loaded up! He just didn't get why we needed all that "stuff"!

kobo_ranch

Well to me this is such a no brainer--If you just want to have "something" to show, don't mind stinking all the time, or that awful squeeling noise, sure go for a hog.  Growing up on the farm my Dad raised just about it all, cattle, sheep, goats, and every so often a few HOGS.

As a kid I showed steers and heifers, and I loved them!  They all had a unique personality all there own, and I got very attached to them.  Now that I'm back in the business raising them-- its the same way.  So fun and interesting seeing each calf being born, what you get, and watching them grow and develop.  After working several now, putting on halter, and getting them gentle--again just a enjoyable experience.  To me hogs are great for one thing only . . . on the bar-b-que pit and in your tummy!
I know we raise cattle for the same purpose, but I really don't even think of it much in that way.  Thats LOVE isn't it!
(Important note!!  IT IS HARD WORK, if you're not into working and the couch potatoe, might want to get the hog!!) (welcome)
Jason, might have to start a HOG PLANET for those pig lovers!  I personally know 2 or 3 that would want to sign up!!

kanshow

if you're not into working and the couch potatoe, might want to get the hog!!)
  I have to disagree with this.  It takes a pretty smart person and a good eye to know what your hog needs & when they need it - a couple days on a feed change can be the difference between Purple and White.    My kids learned pretty quick that if you don't want to make a complete fool out of yourself in the show ring, the pigs need to be walked for training and conditioning - that's a daily thing.   

Anything done well is only as good as the amount of work you put into it.  We've all been at a county fair when Freddy 4Her brings his steer that's only had a halter on a few times and had only been led a few times less than that.  We've seen pigs that have never been touched prior to the fair.. where they are washed & then gets to be chased around by  a kid with a whip.  I was only talking about the animals...  Take the kid with the whip..  wouldn't have hurt for them to have a bit more training than the yearly pig derby at the county fair.  Sorry... like I tell my kids, if you want to do it, do it RIGHT, put the work into it or DO NOT take this project. 

farwest

I've been around cattle all my life. Have only been around show pigs the last couple. I ll promise you pigs have way more personality than cattle. They can be a lot of fun. 

dhs

I showed cattle and hogs for 10 years and sheep for 2 years, hog were by far the easiest for me they are way cheaper, and you can produce them much quicker, I mean you can get 2 litters a year with a sow, but a cow or a ewe it takes much more time to improve and advance genetics. To do it right there is alot of work in all of them, but cattle is an endless project, you can't take a day off when working with cattle. Sheep is more of a showmanship and feed deal than anything, hog have become more luck than anything because I don't know how more shows that one day a hog can stand 5th or 6th in class and another day and a different judge the hog is grand overall. You may see this alittle in some prospect cattle shows, but for the most part a winning calf can set themself apart from its completion unless it is in the mix at the major show.

doubled

This kids showed all three- Hogs are the easiest to handle but hard to get the perfect weight- Cattle are labor entensive but they still loved them the most,
the lambs.... I loved them (the kids hated them) cause I wanted to make pets out of show lambs and that usually is a no no or they wont brace properly and also
a sick lamb... is a