Are my steers sick?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Nubz

Every now and than my fair steers get the runs/ the sh!ts, they seem to be healthy and gaining weight. I am kinda pushing the grain to them but yet they do get a lot of hay also.So what is going on? Any quick fixes to this? Also I raise them outside and their pen is pretty muddy (spring) would you suggest laying gravel down will this harm their hoofs or anything. Thank You for your advise in advance!!!!!!

vc

Are we talking the consistency of water or just loose? Is it when their just out in the pen or when your working them? I feed the powdered bro bios twice a week ( Wednesday, Sunday) and everyday if increasing feed or they get a little loose. I will also back off for a day on the grain if their too loose. Also try and keep track of when it happens and if there is something that may be causing it, weather, feed, new bag of feed. What type of hay are you feeding, what is the fat and protein content of the feed?

Tallcool1

Don't put down gravel.

You may need to mix a roughage in with their grain.  Something like Receiving Chow.  If they are getting pretty much all of the grain they will eat, they may not be eating enough hay.  It is hard to say.

Mud shouldn't cause a problem as long as it doesn't keep them from eating.

Nubz

Sometimes its watery. I have noticed that its worse when working with them. What do you suggest to put on the ground? Thanks for your help!

vc

Some calves get loose every time you work with them. I would try a little dry beet pulp in their feed for a little more roughage. The wood pellets work good at absorbing up the moisture.