Tom Chauncey and
The Kemper and Ethel Marley Foundation

Reserve Grand Champion
Jr. Market Steer

Purchased for $5,200 by:
Tom Chauncey and
The Kemper and Ethel Marley Foundation

CAB

I see the Blissard's had the GC & RGC breeding heifer also. Must know a little bit about a little bit.

Note this is just from the pictures, but I like the RGC steer better from what I can see from them.

showgirl15

I have gone to the show many years now and there is no where that says the fitters have to be family. I know alot of people that fly people in and I have fitted and clipped many calves for that show and I was not related to them!

loveRedcows

The GC steer was not stalled in the Jr barn, he was stalled w/ their open cattle & I can tell you from my own observation that the "owner" was rarely allowed to touch the animal during the 5 days as they had at least 4 full-time hands working the string.  From what I saw of the reserve, that kid drug that steer all over the place himself, with adult supervision.  Can't comment on the quality of either - they were both pretty darn good. 

Tallcool1

twistedhshowstock said:
Just to clarify I wasnt trying to say anything bad about the families.  I know the Drager's know their way around the fitting rack pretty well, Blissards arent to shabby themselves.  I realize those families were probably right there elbow deep in the preperation, but even the best often hire extra help for the big shows, most of which have rules saying that fitting/showday preparation is to be done by the exhibitor, immediate family, ag teachers, or extension agents only.  A rule that hardly ever gets enforced or is very easy to enforce.  Just saying I dont thing that rule deters many.  Both are pretty good steers, but I agree with Chambero, Myka has much better steers in the barn.  I assume we will see those at Ft Worth, San Antonio, and Houston.

I have often wondered why our county agents and show officials always tell us that it is SO hard to enforce this rule.  To me, it would really not be that hard to enforce. 

The "Immediate Family" member must be identified on the entry form.  The immediate family member goes to the check in with the exhibitor.  The immediate family member produces identification.  Everyone eligible to fit gets a nylon bracelet (like what you get when you go into the beer garden).  The nylon bracelet must be in clear sight which makes all fitters easily identifiable, and they have already proven their identification.  Any animal that is being touched by a person that does not have a bracelet...is GONE. 

It is really not that hard, if the show officials really want to stop it from happening. 

What **sses  me off is when the show officials choose to "enforce" the rule on the family showing the steer that they paid $150 over market price for, because dad is trying to clip out a leg (which is not allowed), but the $20,000 steer across the aisle with the 22 year old kid that is 3 years past the age cutoff and is not related to the family in any way......"How are we supposed to know?"

If you want to have the rule, then make the rule enforceable.  Use your imagination.  Have some back bone.  Otherwise, just make it an open show and stop pretending that it's not.  The "big guys" get enough preferential treatment in the ring.  Do they really need it in the blocking chutes too?