Asset Semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

FriedgesCharolais

Im just wondering is this bull dead or why is his semen so high priced especially since i really havent seen a ton of calves out of him....just wondering

OH Breeder

These are my humble thoughts

CF SOLUTION X ET *x,R/W/M
SULL GNCC ASSET ET *,R/W
                      K-KIM MONA LISA 35L ET *,White

The bull originally came out and was syndicated. Then the owners started selling semen on him. It was $40-$50 a pop at first. Then it went to $25. He severely injured and if you go to Sullivan's website and some of the other names in the shorthorn breed everyone started to use him. I personally do not see why his semen is so expensive when he has numerous numerous full brothers and his genetics can be obtained fairly easy. I have a heifer out of him. I will say from what I have seen he did not breed like the typical Solution x Mona LIsa. His calves were smaller framed and tick more clubby. But if you look at Sullivans, CYT, Greenhorns, WHR, etc, most of the larger "show" breeders were selling calves out of him last year.

Here are a couple that sold in the Maternal LEgends Sale in the fall.

Attachments

• Asset daughter 1.JPG
    Asset daughter 1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Asset x myrtle bo1.JPG
    Asset x myrtle bo1.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 175

kfacres

B/c SULL and Guyer are involved.. and when they are involved... Semen price is always 50 a straw.. and Certs are also always 50 a straw...

Gotta milk it for what it's worth... 

Pleasant Grove Farms

this is straight from the mouth of Dave Geyer, one of the syndicated owners.

Asset was a poor semen producer from the start; it took awhile for just the syndicated owners to get a semen bank on him; hence why he was higher priced to start with and not used alot; then he badly injured a leg; because he was a poor semen producer to start with, and this injury is permanent, he is basically done as a semen producer;
the bull was not dead when Dave told me this mid Sept. of 2011.

the semen being this high is just the law of supply/demand.
as long as there is the demand that will pay whatever for the semen, it will cost that much.

We had the awesome flush out of Asset that produced Joshua Ramsey's promo bull Hidden Treasure and also 3 flush sisters; we have a really, really nice Asset x Carnac/Monsoon bull calf born this winter; and also an Asset x pb Simmi heifer calf; after seeing this many Asset calves, he did a really great job for a non-carrier that can throw muscle, hair and bone like he does.

just my experience.

Shorthorns4us

What is the percentage of semen production is an inheritable trait?
Fertility is important on both sides- males and females-- does this trait limit him to be best suited for terminal clubby steers?  If the percentage is not too high- could he be safe to keep heifers?
Just throwing that out there for the sake of discussion.
EF

Pleasant Grove Farms

it has a very low heredity.....
the Asset son Hidden Treasure is almost ready to freeze semen at 10 months;
they are pretty certain he will be freezing before he is a year old.

seems if low fertility was inherited those wouldn't reproduce and we wouldn't
have it at all anymore...

kfacres

Pleasant Grove Farms said:
it has a very low heredity.....
the Asset son Hidden Treasure is almost ready to freeze semen at 10 months;
they are pretty certain he will be freezing before he is a year old.

seems if low fertility was inherited those wouldn't reproduce and we wouldn't
have it at all anymore...

I don't think the question of fertility-- regards to direct fertility.. but daughter fertility.. and maybe not just in one generation... but stacked upon generations....

ccc23

Asset is a good sob ive seen him many times even after the foot injury(not getting into y that really happened )and he still looked awsome last i heard he was not dead..
And cloning him was being thought about....  have seen alot of awsome calves out of him and we r probly gunna flush sum cows to him this year...

The Asset/Myrtle Bo daughters were absolutely BEAUTIFUL at the Maternal legends Sale this fall.  8 of them sold, averaging $32,031 each.

We're expecting 5 Asset/Myrtle Bo babies this spring!!!!!!!!!!!!