Asterisk free shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

irishshorthorns said:
JTM said:
I wish we all just tried a little harder not to personally attack each other but keep to the facts. "Can't we all just get along?"

I thought A&T's original post was appropriate and informative. Experience and honesty about the experience is knowledge. Political expediency does nothing for my program.  ;)

If people want to breed hybred or mongrel cattle, let them. It just bugs me when they want to register them as part of a vanity project.

If your screen name depicts the type of Shorthorns you prefer, I don't think you should be lecturing anyone on the breeding of mongrel cattle.  ::)

trevorgreycattleco

irishshorthorns said:
JTM said:
I wish we all just tried a little harder not to personally attack each other but keep to the facts. "Can't we all just get along?"

I thought A&T's original post was appropriate and informative. Experience and honesty about the experience is knowledge. Political expediency does nothing for my program.  ;)

If people want to breed hybred or mongrel cattle, let them. It just bugs me when they want to register them as part of a vanity project.
[/quot

Vanity project? Maybe some folks have brought in other breeds to help FIX some of the problems with the shorthorns that the Irish cattle had a hand in starting in the first place. Deerpark Improver 57 is one of the worst bulls I have ever seen. Oh yeah he is one of the founding fathers for the TH problem. You called a Wakaru bull horrendous and nobody says anything to you. You must be some big wig across the pond but I dont care. Nobodies cattle are perfect.

jaimiediamond

trevorgreycattleco said:
Vanity project? Maybe some folks have brought in other breeds to help FIX some of the problems with the shorthorns that the Irish cattle had a hand in starting in the first place. Deerpark Improver 57 is one of the worst bulls I have ever seen. Oh yeah he is one of the founding fathers for the TH problem. You called a Wakaru bull horrendous and nobody says anything to you. You must be some big wig across the pond but I dont care. Nobodies cattle are perfect.

I am going to have to sit on the fence on this one.  A TH line was brought  in with the Irish Shorthorns but research has shown that there are two variants in Shorthorns and there are some in other breeds and species. Going by pictures I am going to have to say the modern Shorthorns float my boat more then the "Irish Infusion" but a lot of the best animals I have seen have Improver in their pedigree so I wouldn't discount those lines. 

Attachments

• Deerpark Improver.png
    Deerpark Improver.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Deerpark Improver 57th.jpg
    Deerpark Improver 57th.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 207

OH Breeder

jaimiediamond said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

I am going to have to sit on the fence on this one.  A TH line was brought  in with the Irish Shorthorns but research has shown that there are two variants in Shorthorns and there are some in other breeds and species. Going by pictures I am going to have to say the modern Shorthorns float my boat more then the "Irish Infusion" but a lot of the best animals I have seen have Improver in their pedigree so I wouldn't discount those lines.   

I agree with Trevorgrey that to call the current breeding stock in U.S. mongrels when you use the name "IrishShorthorns" is throwing some mighty big stones from the glass house window. The Improver lines may not work for everyone but they certainly are not of the purest blood. I like to mix common and uncommon breeding to manufacture my females. It works for me and that is what is most important. We have a little bit of everything and we like it that way, old and new.

garybob

trevorgreycattleco said:
irishshorthorns said:
JTM said:

[/quot

WRONG!!!! Rob Sneed's are. Just thought I'd put a plug for your 0329 bull! ;D ;D ;D ;D.

;)GB

J

JTM

trevorgreycattleco said:
irishshorthorns said:
JTM said:

TrevorGrey, I actually like the picture of Improver 57 phenotypically. I think all he needs is to be crossed with a good Fullblood Maine Anjou bull. ;D IrishShorthorns, I agree with some of what you are saying but I think you are off when you say that crossbred cattle are mongrels. People who know what they are doing can almost always create a superior cow by crossing breeds.

irishshorthorns

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
irishshorthorns said:
JTM said:

I thought A&T's original post was appropriate and informative. Experience and honesty about the experience is knowledge. Political expediency does nothing for my program.  ;)

If people want to breed hybrids or mongrel cattle, let them. It just bugs me when they want to register them as part of a vanity project.

If your screen name depicts the type of Shorthorns you prefer, I don't think you should be lecturing anyone on the breeding of mongrel cattle.  ::)

AH diddums. I'm sorry if my comments made Oldwoman or Olson and Trevor feel uncomfortable, but sometimes the truth does have a sting. My advice is don't worry your pretty little head with the paperwork, and just run your longhorns, I'm sorry, Shorthorn's, as commercials and we'll all be happy, and the breed will be much the better for it. That's  my good deed for the day. helping someone in distress to cross the road! Go to Alta Cedar or somewhere akin to see what real Shorthorns look like, alternatively I can send you some pics!

trevorgreycattleco

I am pretty damn comfy in my skin. I got some Alta Cedar bulls in my tank thank you very much. $75.00 a straw at that! Huge bw and not very easy keeping for me. Alta Cedar tank. I loved his picture in shorthorn country but he just didnt breed like I had hoped. I still got 5 starws left mr irishshorthorn......would you like em? Please post some pics and please elaborate on how you feed them/ Just grass like nature intended or do you have to supplement?  Why are you importing Canadian bulls when you are a irish purest? Truth stings a little sometimes. Are they out of pure Irish bulls in ireland?

J

JTM

Here are a couple mongrels for ya! <rock>

Crossbred cow
Purebred Maine Anjou with PB Shorthorn sired calf

Attachments

• IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 199

irishshorthorns

trevorgreycattleco said:
I am pretty damn comfy in my skin. I got some Alta Cedar bulls in my tank thank you very much. $75.00 a straw at that! Huge bw and not very easy keeping for me. Alta Cedar tank. I loved his picture in shorthorn country but he just didn't breed like I had hoped. I still got 5 straws left Mr irishshorthorn......would you like em? Please post some pics and please elaborate on how you feed them/ Just grass like nature intended or do you have to supplement?  Why are you importing Canadian bulls when you are a Irish purest? Truth stings a little sometimes. Are they out of pure Irish bulls in ireland?

Now when did I say I was an Irish purist??????? The Irish bulls worked so well on the Canadian and American cows, I thought it was time our Transatlantic friends could return the favour. You will notice that I was very selective in the ranches that I dealt with, namely Eionmor and Alta Cedar, to date. I also have another Canadian bull contracted to go to stud in the Fall. Obviously I can't name him here but some of the respected posters here have seen him and really liked his phenotype. I also breed Black and Red Angus, but I don't feel the need to crisscross the Shorthorns with the later and try and register the progeny! And I've got some more good news for you Trev, I'm sending a shipment of pure Irish Shorthorn semen to Canada in the Fall too if you want to get an order in. It'll be pricey, but you get what you pay for these days. Save some of the welfare cheques and you might have enough for a half dozen straws!!!! I always do discounts for friends, so I'll knock a few bucks off for ya!!!! I've seen a few pics of your cows and I think you need something roan, polled and very correct in the plates and hind legs to correct what I saw. I have one or two bulls that should bring up the quality of your stock no bother. Order early and avoid disappointment!

Okotoks

I'm with Trevorgrey, we can discuss the pedigrees we like, the type of cattle we like but these personal insults are going way over the top.

J

JTM

Yeah it's getting a little exhausting and I won't even read all the posts. Anyway, I like asterisk free, I like asterisk, I like appendix, and I like mongrels (Red & White Maine Anjou). Let's have an "adult like" discussion about the positves and negatives of the different types and maybe we can all learn. If the other side of the argument doesn't want to listen and go to personal attacks, then it isn't worth the energy to discuss. What was the point to this thread originally? I'm actually interested in the topic because I don't have much asterisk free influence and wonder how they would cross with my mongrels, I'm sorry, I can't stop from calling them that now. ;D

trevorgreycattleco

Sorry to take the bait and go to his level. Im done. Thanks everybody for your kind words. Especially OH Breeder. I will keep my mongrels. It is kinds catchy isn't it Josh. :)

OH Breeder

trevorgreycattleco said:
Sorry to take the bait and go to his level. Im done. Thanks everybody for your kind words. Especially OH Breeder. I will keep my mongrels. It is kinds catchy isn't it Josh. :)

well its simply like this......
When people like AJ, ... and now IrishShorthorns seems to be stepping right into his shoes... take the post to personal attacks that is usually a sign of insecurity. I deal with a lot of big money folks on a daily basis and they don't have to come on the internet and post how much they spend to make people think they are someone. They are smart business people and gracious in life. This is a cattle board and if people like IrishShorthorns has to insult you when they obviously know nothing about Americana (Waylon and Willie) take it for what its worth. We live in a great country and lots of great people. We can breed whatever we like because we live in a democracy. I may not agree with other folks selections and it really doesn't matter its THEIR choice. I know what I like and it works for me. That is really what matters. TG you wake up every morning and chore and feed your animals. Are you really shooting of "Grand Champion"(whew who)....You pay the bills. An til IrishShorthorns is paying my bills with his massive wealth  ::) I will probably continue to run my operation the way I LIKE IT. Purebreds, Mongrels, Shorthorn Plus, Appendix, Crossbred what does it matter. Opinions are like well you know and we all have them.......Take him and his insults for what they are. TG your operation is headed in a totally opposite direction. Irishshorthorns obviously by his statements puts allot of faith in showing. YOU DON"T. That's not your goal. You really are worlds apart.

A great man once said...Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.  The belittling post attacking you personal removed my doubt immediately.

sue

JTM said:
Yeah it's getting a little exhausting and I won't even read all the posts. Anyway, I like asterisk free, I like asterisk, I like appendix, and I like mongrels (Red & White Maine Anjou). Let's have an "adult like" discussion about the positves and negatives of the different types and maybe we can all learn. If the other side of the argument doesn't want to listen and go to personal attacks, then it isn't worth the energy to discuss. What was the point to this thread originally? I'm actually interested in the topic because I don't have much asterisk free influence and wonder how they would cross with my mongrels, I'm sorry, I can't stop from calling them that now. ;D

Josh
Two herds not far from you- Warren Lakamp, Jacksonville, IL  and Moores in Jerseyville, IL ( they maintain a fair number of females that are asterik free. 

I like the word "mutt"  ;)

J

JTM

sue said:
JTM said:

Josh
Two herds not far from you- Warren Lakamp, Jacksonville, IL   and Moores in Jerseyville, IL ( they maintain a fair number of females that are asterik free. 

Sue, thanks for the feedback. I wish I could get out more often. Hopefully things will continue to move in a direction where I will be able to get away more. I think irishshorthorns was originally referring to U.S. shorthorns as mongrels because of the crossing with Maine Anjou. I've got a handful of purebred red and white Maines and I would love to have about 50 of them. Easy calving(but not low bw), good milkers, good udders, big hipped, fertile, and they cross awesome with Shorthorns! The offspring makes herd bulls and great females.

sue

JTM said:
sue said:
JTM said:
I will make it to your place, I want to see more mutts.

Josh
Two herds not far from you- Warren Lakamp, Jacksonville, IL   and Moores in Jerseyville, IL ( they maintain a fair number of females that are asterik free. 

Sue, thanks for the feedback. I wish I could get out more often. Hopefully things will continue to move in a direction where I will be able to get away more. I think irishshorthorns was originally referring to U.S. shorthorns as mongrels because of the crossing with Maine Anjou. I've got a handful of purebred red and white Maines and I would love to have about 50 of them. Easy calving(but not low bw), good milkers, good udders, big hipped, fertile, and they cross awesome with Shorthorns! The offspring makes herd bulls and great females.

J

JTM

Definitely, then you can see the Show Mutt of the Year while your here. (lol)